What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gps source for TruTrak

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I have been using my Garmin 496 to drive my ADI II but now with my IFR status would like to use the Garmin 430 to be the Nav source for the autopilot.
Ideally it would be nice to have a toggle switch so that either source could be used. Reading through the literature it would appear that one source uses 4500 as the baud rate and the other 9600. Is what I want to do possible without reprogramming the autopilot each time?
Thanks in advance.

customer service at tru trac

Tom,

Know you've thought about it probably but i'd contact Lucas at Tru Trac. they'll know the options and provide you superior service. I did a TON of testing for their ADI II autopilot but only sorced off one gps. (I use the HIWAS gps in my Grand Rapid Technology EFIS). don't recall the baud rate but truly think you will NOT be able to toggle between sources very easily. just my gut. Give Lucas a call and best of luck.

I don't know about the baud rate, If the 496 can be selected to 9600, you would be all set.
As far as the Trutrak and 430 is concerned, you will need to pull the ARINC lines to the AP if you want GPS steering (if you have a trutrak that does GPS steering).

Thanks guys, I will give TruTrak a call for clarification. It is helpful that I can use the 9600 rate with the 496, at least the two units will be similar in that regard. The manual speaks about the configuring the ARINC page and so I guess I better clear that up with trutrak.

I just spoke with Lucas. It will be possible to do what I want with a simple switch. Both baud rates can be set to 9600 as was suggested above.
Thanks to those who replied.

Back