What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag EICAD

Kokemiller

Well Known Member
Several weeks ago I installed a Pmag on the right side. The install was pretty simple and went well. Everything tested correct and all plugs were thowing spark when they were supposed to. Run up and mag check works as should with little rpm drop and smooth engine. Cyl. #2 runs 20* warmer with 50-100* cooler egt in cruise. Plugs look good with good color. Decided to hook up EICAD monitor function and it shows short on #1/2. When using EIDAD monitor on the ground with master on and mags off it show #1/2 short regardless whether plug wires are attached to plugs or not and even if ignition wires are taken off the pmag.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? Does this mean I have an internal issue with the pmag? I have an email into Brad at Emagair but probably wont hear anything until after the weekend.

Don't worry. I am not sure that feature actually works very well. Each install is slightly different and the software has no way to calibrate it so it makes it pretty much useless.

It is not a good idea to fire the Pmag without a spark plug load. It can damage the coil.

That is good to hear. Flew today and seems to work well. Like my daughter says "TMI". (Too much information)

I didn't fire mags without plugs, just checked readings in EICAD with wires removed. Mags were off with master on.

Back