What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Introduction in the DC area?

AirDC

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I am exploring the idea of buying my first airplane and have been trying to learn more about RVs, which seems like a good fit for most of my missions and interests (1-2 person cross countries, learning aerobatics).

My initial hunch is something side-by-side (RV6 or 7) would suit me better because I take lots of trips and frequently fly with a passenger, but am open to ideas. Mostly, I just want to learn as much as I can about RVs and the nuances of flying experimentals.

Would anyone in the DC area (I live in Dupont) be willing to meet up one evening or weekend day and possibly show me the ropes (i'll pay my share if you can take me up) and/or let me buy you lunch or dinner and soak up some of your knowledge.

About me: I am 30, live in NW DC, work in real estate development. I got my PPL in a DA20 in August last year and have been flying a club 172/180hp for the last 75 hours since then (so about 130tt). My dad has owned a Piper Navajo since I was born. I love all things aviation.

Thank you all for your help.

Andrew

Andrew,

I have a RV-7 at KDMW. Wouldn't mind at all to chat RV with you and give you a ride to see if it's a good fit for you. Contact me at [email protected].

Hi all,

I am exploring the idea of buying my first airplane and have been trying to learn more about RVs, which seems like a good fit for most of my missions and interests (1-2 person cross countries, learning aerobatics).

My initial hunch is something side-by-side (RV6 or 7) would suit me better because I take lots of trips and frequently fly with a passenger, but am open to ideas. Mostly, I just want to learn as much as I can about RVs and the nuances of flying experimentals.

Would anyone in the DC area (I live in Dupont) be willing to meet up one evening or weekend day and possibly show me the ropes (i'll pay my share if you can take me up) and/or let me buy you lunch or dinner and soak up some of your knowledge.

About me: I am 30, live in NW DC, work in real estate development. I got my PPL in a DA20 in August last year and have been flying a club 172/180hp for the last 75 hours since then (so about 130tt). My dad has owned a Piper Navajo since I was born. I love all things aviation.

Thank you all for your help.

Andrew

Thank you guys. Mike from MD - I sent you an email. MDW is a little far for me to drive from DC but can fly over and meet you sometime.

Manassas (KHEF)

Andrew,
Come on out to Manassas (KHEF) and visit EAA Chapter 186's monthly meeting this Saturday, 28 Jan at 1000. Here's our website: http://www.eaa186.org/

We have a number of RV builders 6's, 7's, 8's/Rockets, and 10's right there at KHEF. In fact there's a 7 in our Chapter hangar that's close to first flight.

If you can't make it this Saturday, the invite stands and I can put you in touch with any number of builders, including myself, but as my signature states I'm building a 10 -- working on my fuse and just received my engine yesterday.

Last edited:
Gaithersburg

At GAI we have an active RV community and one of our clan with a flying RV4 and building an RV12 lives just up Connecticut Ave from you in Cleveland Park. I fly a RV4 and helping a buddy build his RV8. Shoot me an email and I'll let you know when we can meet up. capflyer071 at yahoo

Andrew,

While I don't have an RV yet, I live just up the road from you in Columbia Heights. It's always great to here from another interested RVer who lives in the District. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime and head out to HEF or GAI or swap aviation stories. I fly mainly out of JYO.

Last edited:
The local chapter is a great source for info, I plan to be at the meeting tomorrow morning hope to see you there. They also have really good presentations and speakers, we did a tour of NTSB last year.

I'd be happy to show you my 9a, and take you for ride. I am based in Leesburg.
See you,
Lynn Hall
N554LH

Andrew,
Come on out to Manassas (KHEF) and visit EAA Chapter 186's monthly meeting this Saturday, 28 Jan at 1000. Here's our website: http://www.eaa186.org/

We have a number of RV builders 6's, 7's, 8's/Rockets, and 10's right there at KHEF. In fact there's a 7 in our Chapter hangar that's close to first flight.

If you can't make it this Saturday, the invite stands and I can put you in touch with any number of builders, including myself, but as my signature states I'm building a 10 -- working on my fuse and just received my engine yesterday.

DC Area

Andrew,

As Capflyer mentioned, I live up the road from you in Cleveland Park. I fly an RV-4 that I bought last year and that I keep at Gaithersburg, and I am now getting started on an RV-12 build. Happy to talk to you about RVs anytime. I work in downtown DC so we could get together for lunch also. We can also get together at GAI.

Folks here have made some good suggestions. Chapter 186 is a good chapter, and since you are interested in a side by side RV you should really take Mike Bullock up on his offer and to take a look at his 7. It is a very nice one, and Mike is very generous with his time. It is really not that far to drive to meet up with him. I have driven up there a few times from DC.

PM or email me if you want to get together.

Fernando

anyone recommend a reasonable hotel that is close to the metro? everything is so inflated, it's hard to find the deals

Back