What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Grip Questions

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

Trying to decide on a stick grip, and I had a couple of questions I was hoping others would know.

1) Are the Ray Allens the only ones that don't require the use of a relay for the trim motor (for a single switch)? The new G307 advertises 15 amp Honeywell switches, and that seems to be an attractive selling feature.

2) What type/quality of switches comes with the Teak wood units that Spruce sells? Calling them is no help...they never seem to have any answers.

3) What type/quality of switches comes with the CH stick? Given that is basically an arcade joystick that they renamed "aircraft", I might be worried about the quality/longevity of those switches.

4) I know the Infinity switches come pre-wired, but do any others? Specifically I am wondering about the CH, Ray Allens, and Teak wood. Given the CH seems to be a one piece unit, I assume it does. I guess you can't replace switches on it.

5) Can you replace switches on the Teak wood or new Ray Allens?

Sorry for all the questions...I guess it was more than two. I am leaning towars the Teak wood for beauty, and the Ray Allens for function.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

The new Ray Allens with the four way hat switch still use individual micro switches like the old ones did. Would be easy to replace.

I had the old stick before, and replaced with the new style. I've angled the new style to the left, for a comfortable hand fit, since it's more of a formed grip.

Grips

I've heard from other builders that the CH grip is nice. I have the Ray Allen 307, and it does not come wired. I've got info here about my wiring experience:

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20041120212301548

I didn't enjoy wiring it, but it turned out ok. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the CH, just to avoid the wiring.

The teak sticks are really nice - except that the rubber boots are easy to break off of the switches. The guy that makes the teak sticks is great to talk with, if you call AS&S they can get his phone # off of the bags they are packaged in. He is happy to answer questions and even making custom changes to the sticks for no fee (i.e. if you want an extra switch or one less). He can also make lefty versions.

He sent me mine with a note to just send it back if I didn't like it or send a check if I did.

Don't worry about wiring up the relays, they are easy to work with. Just mount em on the belly near the stick.

The CH sticks are really nice. It appears they can come apart for replacement of the switches, however I havent tried to. Very comfortable for hand placement , and they come prewired. Pm me for pics, I think I have a set if your looking.

Mike

I purchased the ch grips. I have flown with the ray allens grips and did not like them. Call Kevin at CH, he has a RV6, he'll take care of you. http://www.chproducts.com/retail/aircraft.html price wise, they are the best and they are pre-wire. kinda hard to beat. I would not worry about the switch on the grip, have you ever seen a kid play a video game? if they hold up to that, i think ill be considered a light user.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
N969LS said:
I purchased the ch grips. I have flown with the ray allens grips and did not like them.

I suppose I need to ask why, you didn't like the Ray Allens? I've had both types and like them. The new ones have the triangular top piece with a hat switch and two buttons in addition to the PTT switch. They are very well built with quality switches, along with a very good setup for bolting to the joystick.

They are molded to fit your hand grip, and "should" be angled to the natural angle of your fist to be comfortable. I have seen some mounted straight, and I don't think I'd like them either..........in that case.

CH man, they now have relays built into the grip which makes wiring quite simple.

-Jeff

Dont fret over relays, the wiring is quite simple.Pick the grips you like.

I opted for the infinity grips and am very happy with my choice.

I have the older CF grips w/o the relays built in and I agree the wiring is pretty straight forward but why bother? :D

no-to-relays.JPG

And here's the same CH grips with the relays built in. Wiring is soooo much easier and you dont have to fabricate mounts for the relays. I think the relays add like $50 to the total cost. That's less than buying two relays from Ray Allen Co.

img_8036.jpg

Now thats what I'm talkin about! Hey Scott W. wanna trade? ;)

Mr. Haskins... any questions?

-Jeff

PANEL%20233.jpg

Last edited:
RV_7A said:
CH man, they now have relays built into the grip which makes wiring quite simple.
Quite simple until a relay goes T/U. Can you replace the relays that are built into the grip? I assume the answer is yes...just playing devil's advocate.

Half full, half empty. If you gotta replace a part, you gotta replace a part. In my case if a relay goes bad, I'll be ordering a new one from Aircraft Extras . com. If I had the new grip like Scott I'd be ordering a new grip from CH Products.

-Jeff

RV_7A said:
Half full, half empty.
I'm just encouraging folks to consider ease & cost of maintenance. If you'll only fly 20 hours a year maybe that's not as big of a consideration.

Or I could argue that there are more physical wire connections with the external relay setup. six and one half dozen of the other. One thing's for sure, I'll be no where near 442 hrs/year as dan has averaged!!

The guy at CH products was quite knowledgeable. He has a -6 if I recall.

Does anyone want to buy my two spare Ray Allen relays? :)

Back