What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Servo Issues

vinodwahi

Hey everyone,

I am facing some issues regarding the servo for the elevator. (got an RV9a).

Unfortunately, the shear screw is broken, now I am struggling getting the rest of the shear screw out of the tab. I tried to drill and untab it (lefthand tab) but the screw seems to be too soft to untab. I can either recut the tab or use another whole. What would you suggest?

Second, I noticed that I have vertical allowance of clearance if I pull the rotation conus. Is that ok?

And last but not least, I am not quite sure whether the totation conus rotates with a too high resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOLpW_BW5Q&context=C3999656ADOEgsToPDskIpvwbT9jlgIU65iFc3v60B

I have uploaded a video, would be great if you could have a look!
Btw, it is not me doing some strange noises in the back :)

Cheers
Sunit :eek:

If you take the collar off the shaft and take it to a machine shop with a tap burner, they could burn that screw out for you.

Hey everyone,

I am facing some issues regarding the servo for the elevator. (got an RV9a).

Unfortunately, the shear screw is broken, now I am struggling getting the rest of the shear screw out of the tab. I tried to drill and untab it (lefthand tab) but the screw seems to be too soft to untab. I can either recut the tab or use another whole. What would you suggest?

Second, I noticed that I have vertical allowance of clearance if I pull the rotation conus. Is that ok?

And last but not least, I am not quite sure whether the totation conus rotates with a too high resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOLpW_BW5Q&context=C3999656ADOEgsToPDskIpvwbT9jlgIU65iFc3v60B

I have uploaded a video, would be great if you could have a look!
Btw, it is not me doing some strange noises in the back :)

Cheers
Sunit :eek:

You should be able to use one of the other two holes for a new shear screw. That's what was recomended by TruTrak and when I did the same thing a couple years ago. It's only after you shear 3 screws off that you need to start worrying about getting the holes cleared. Of course, you probably have other issues if you've sheared 3 of these suckers.

The vertical play seems similar to my servo's.

As Dav1111 said, contact TruTrak and they will help you out I'm sure. They have always been very helpful when I've called.

Greg
RV-7

Hi vinodwahi,

The vertical play is absolutely normal and will not have any effect on performance.

For the shear screw, just use on of the other two holes. That's why there's three holes. ;) If you need replacement shear screws please send me a PM with your address and I will mail some to you. Thanks!

Back