What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NC 2012 Formation Clinic, April 20-22 - Sign up information

ronschreck

Well Known Member
This could be YOU!:eek:

3578dwteamrvlarge1.jpg

A Yahoo group has been established to collect and disseminate information for the NC 2012 Formation Clinic at the Stanly County, NC airport (KVUJ) on the weekend of 20-22 April 2012 (rain date: April 27-29).

Click HERE to join the group and sign up to attend the clinic.

IMPORTANT: You must access the DATABASE section of this group and ADD A RECORD with the requested information in order to sign up for the clinic.

Participating pilots should have excellent stick and rudder skills. This clinic is only for RV aircraft. Sorry, no RV-10’s, however we may consider including RV-12’s if at least four RV-12 pilots sign up. We will not mix RV-12’s with other models. All aircraft must be in excellent condition. Beginner's aircraft must have dual controls (throttle, stick and rudder), intercom, and PTT in both positions. No vernier throttles allowed! In addition to the normal paperwork required of all aircraft (registration, airworthiness certificate, weight & balance), pilot certificate and current medical, you will need to bring proof of liability insurance. We will arrange for competitive rates at a hotel in nearby Albemarle, NC and will provide contact information soon. We will provide dinner on Friday evening, and lunch on Saturday. Further detailed information will be posted to this group as it is available.

Those with prior formation experience will be challenged at a level commensurate with your level of experience. Experienced pilots who wish to take a check ride to earn an FFI Wingman or Flight Lead card must secure a recommendation for the check ride prior to the clinic and request a check ride not later than April 1st.

Regardless of your level of formation expertise, you will find the clinic to be a challenging, rewarding and fun experience.

Last edited:
A reminder....

We have a few pilots who have joined the Yahoo group but have not signed up on the DATABASE. If you want to attend, don't delay signing up. We will have to cut off new entrants at some point when it gets too large to manage.

Ron, I tried to fill out the database page tonight however you have to be approved by the administrator before you can access the database page. I will try again in the morning. That might be the issue others are having.

George

Hmm... Looks up KVUJ on Google Maps... All the way across the country! Any coming up on the west coast?

Ron, I tried to fill out the database page tonight however you have to be approved by the administrator before you can access the database page. I will try again in the morning. That might be the issue others are having.

George

You probably didn't sign in to the group. Your membership has been approved but you still need to sign in to access the database.

Hmm... Looks up KVUJ on Google Maps... All the way across the country! Any coming up on the west coast?

Quick note, just to answer the question: Yes...the 2012 West Coast Formation Clinic will be the following weekend (April 27-29, Madera, CA). We'll be putting out the word next week, in a separate thread (don't want to steal any thunder from or compete with our bro's back east...who'll be running a clinic you won't want to miss!). More later...now back to the NC 2012 Formation Clinic...

Cheers,
Bob

Try it now

How do you sign up for the database?

I've joined the yahoo group but the DB section is greyed out on the left side.

Bill,

Your application to JOIN the group is approved. NOW go to the DATABASE and sign up.

Smokey

Vernier Throttle Question

As mentioned I'm hoping to close on a '6 in the next couple of weeks. If the aircraft I end up purchasing has a vernier throttle can I get around the ban by installing a clip that locks over the button to permanently hold it down?

I'm sure I can fabricate something easily that would work and would not be easily removed or dislodged.

As mentioned before, I do have formation time. I helped develop and co-authored the Grumman/AYA formation standards in the 90's (before FFI was around), and flew loads of formation on the wing and as flight lead. We regularly flew IFR IMC and shot IMC approaches in formation. My experience is 10-12 years old however.

Bugger.

Do you have a cancelation list?

We have twelve pilots who are members of the group that are waiting for a cancellation. If we have cancellations and we run through those 12 we will open the group for others to join. I can't see that happening, but who knows.

The response to this clinic is unprecedented. Maybe the River Rats or another group will host another clinic this Spring. I think they could fill it easily. I'm pleased to see such interest in formation flying, just wish we could accommodate everyone.

You can change or replace quickly ...

As mentioned I'm hoping to close on a '6 in the next couple of weeks. If the aircraft I end up purchasing has a vernier throttle can I get around the ban by installing a clip that locks over the button to permanently hold it down?

I'm sure I can fabricate something easily that would work and would not be easily removed or dislodged.

As mentioned before, I do have formation time. I helped develop and co-authored the Grumman/AYA formation standards in the 90's (before FFI was around), and flew loads of formation on the wing and as flight lead. We regularly flew IFR IMC and shot IMC approaches in formation. My experience is 10-12 years old however.

If your vernier throttle is the type that is the same as the trim knob (green cable) the the "fix" can be done very quickly.

If you do not have that type, I can say that I really like that type better. That is what I have in my "6".

I don't have the instructions before me at the moment but probably can dig them up if needed. Can you send me a photo of the ones being considered and I will some research.

James

jclarkmail AT gmail.com

James

Hi James

Sounds like there's no rush so I'll wait till I have an airplane before speculating.

Thanks

If your vernier throttle is the type that is the same as the trim knob (green cable) the the "fix" can be done very quickly.

If you do not have that type, I can say that I really like that type better. That is what I have in my "6".

I don't have the instructions before me at the moment but probably can dig them up if needed. Can you send me a photo of the ones being considered and I will some research.

James

jclarkmail AT gmail.com

James

Back