What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000

mv031161

Well Known Member
I just lost my LCD Display backlight in my Giles 202 after a nice electrical burn smell. It looks like I have burned the DPU....Vision Microsystem Inc was purchased by JPI and they discontinued a great product. There is still support but at an elevated price.

I have found a EAA member/pilot/tech in Rhode Island through EBAY from all places who has a stock of parts replacements for VMI products and even a test bench to check the entire system. He is priced reasonable and will be sending my unit for repairs after having receieved a nice trouble shooting procedure from him....Stay put for final results/reports ...

If anyone is in need to have your VMI Monitor, DPU or individual VMI gauges repaired,,,you may want to consider giving this guy a call. He is super nice and a fellow flyer! Reggie Smith (401)741-0863

On a different note.....since I have no space between my pannel and the front backrest seat, I am obligated to have something slim an/or similar to the VM1000.....anyone knows of a system that it is not going to break the piggy bank and works as good as the VM1000?

I wish JPI would come out with a bolt on VM1000 replacement product or the VM1000 units itself again!!!!! ...I know of a few of you that will jump into it right away if available.....

Plug n Play.......a term Micro$oft starting using in 1995 :)

Lol...sorry...I am slow! I was thinking of a brand like JPI.....Duuuuhhhhhh! YES! PnP will be WONDERFUL..

Knock Knock JPI...Can you hear us? VMI's getting old...lots of folks here with these systems!

Last edited:
Does Reggie Smith in Rhode Island have an email address?

My main problem with the VM1000 is the unreliable transducers/senders.

I have had to replace the oil temperature, fuel pressure and oil pressure senders, the latter several times. Last time luckily I had a spare one, the replacement cost is now $400. Next time it fails I will get a steam gauge; the failure mode was insidious, a gradual under-reading of the pressure. These should not be expensive components........

Does Reggie Smith in Rhode Island have an email address?

My main problem with the VM1000 is the unreliable transducers/senders.

I have had to replace the oil temperature, fuel pressure and oil pressure senders, the latter several times. Last time luckily I had a spare one, the replacement cost is now $400. Next time it fails I will get a steam gauge; the failure mode was insidious, a gradual under-reading of the pressure. These should not be expensive components........

call him better to talk to him... i have [email protected]

good luck and please report back if you are satisfied with his services. I promise to do the same!

VM1000 Pressure Sensor Failures

Bluebeard,

In my experience, VM-1000 or EPI-800 pressure transducers fail in four main ways. First is due to simple calendar years and flight hours, temp and pressure cycling of the internal stainless steel diaphram followed by long periods of inactivity, as is often the case in many of our aircraft, does not do the xducer any good; similarly vibration and cycling also deteriorates the internal electronics. In this mode (normal operations for aircraft), I expect the xducers to last about 8-10 years min and average 12-17 years as the norm assuming a typical general aviation flight load of 50-100 hours per year. For example, on my 1987 vintage EPI-800 system, I've replaced the oil pressure sensor once (lasted 18 years/~400 flight hours) and still have the original fuel pressure sensor (24 years/~600+ hours & counting); I know my results are not typical of the fleet experience as most do not get this much life from the sensors. Second failure is due to improper application ... I can't tell you how many folks have bought used VM-1000 or EPI-800 systems, installed them with the used sensors and have one or more fail in short order ... turns out they install a fuel press sensor in the oil press port and vice versa, the FP sensor fails quickly under the high oil pressure cycling and the OP sensor gets replaced because it is "indicating erratically" or "inaccurate" in a FP application ... the FP & OP sensors have different calibration constants in the VMS software. Similarly, a number of people have installed a system designed for a carb application in a fuel injected applications ... the 15psi carb fuel press sensor dies a quick death the first time you apply spike pressure from your boost pump. Third failure is contamination of the sensors ... the VMS manuals don't emphasize enough that solvents typically used to "wash down" engines are detrimental to many of the engine parameter sensors/xducers used with the system. Both FP & OP xducers have a small vent port on top, if solvent gets in the port, the electronics are trashed and your xducer is a paperweight. Similarly, older temp sensors are not well sealed and the solvent enters the brass fitting and shorts the signal. Fourth, problems in the DPU can shorten the life of sensors/xducers. If the excitation voltage coming out of the DPU to the sensor is excessive, expect short life for the sensor. Similarly, if there's a ground fault between the DPU and sensor, it will cause excess current and burn out your sensor. What is often found in the DPU is a failed resistor which results in increased excitation voltage and quick sensor death.

In your case, replacing that many sensors is not normal. Due to the fact that you've had to replace a number of different sensors, I would initially suspect a DPU issue as opposed to a crop of bad sensors. The sensors can take a good amount of operational abuse, what they can't handle well is improper voltage, grounds, or contamination.

Let me know if I can help, you have my email above from Mitch.

Reggie

Hi Reggie

Its a long story, by I suspect that my fuel and oil pressure xducers have gone. Both my fuel and oil pressure only shows 0 after I did my annual inspection. How can I be sure that this is the fault before I dash of and buy new ones.

Regards Iwan Davey

cheaper oil and fuel pressure transducers

They keep the manufacturer/model a secret in order to support their price, but some research revealed it to be a Honeywell 'MediaMate' model MM050PG1HA http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.cfm/ci_id/142358/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0 (thanks Bill from the Lancair forum!!)

It has a 0-50mVDC output over its 0-50 psi range.

A lower cost and, I believe, superior replacement is the Measurement Specialties MSP 340 model M3421-000006-100PG
http://www.meas-spec.com/product/t_product.aspx?id=5115
It has a 0-100mVDC output over its 0-100 psi range. It's available from Digi-Key for about $115 and a direct replacement for the Honeywell, except that the green and white output wires have to be reversed.

here is the DigiKey link:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=21&y=15&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=MSP6892-ND

BTW: they have more good stuff like e.g. toggle switches

Last edited:
VM1000 Oil Temp Prope replacement

Hi, I am still looking for an oil temp probe replacement for my VM1000 unit. The original sensors are much too expensive.

Does anyone know how it works? If NTC Thermistor (which one).

thanks Georg

oil probe

Georg, I may have one that you can have for shipping costs. Is it mounted in the oil filter area of the gear drive case and do you have a part no. or a picture of what you need. Ron

Georg,

The VM1000 oil temp sensor is a P/N 3010021, if Ron does not have one for you, send me an email, I have them in stock.

Reggie

Back