What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM 1000 Questions

bjb3013

Well Known Member
I have a friend with an older (unused) Vm1000 6 Cyl ,that he wants to get rid of. He has all the probes cht,egt op,fp,ot,ff,clock, mp,tach fuel gages etc... The factory says the unit can be reconfigured to 4 cyl and a new battery and new software for $120.

I really like the new C model, but I am always looking for a deal. I have no idea what it is worth and I can not find one on Ebay to see what they are going for. The new version is $2000

What is a good price? What else should i ask about?
Any concerns?

Thanks,
BJB

bjb3013 said:
I have a friend with an older (unused) Vm1000 6 Cyl ,that he wants to get rid of. He has all the probes cht,egt op,fp,ot,ff,clock, mp,tach fuel gages etc... The factory says the unit can be reconfigured to 4 cyl and a new battery and new software for $120........... What else should i ask about? Any concerns?Thanks, BJB
You say this older unit is unused. Ask if all the necessary wiring including those thermocouples that support the EGT and CHT probes and all the associated connectors and multi-pin connector bodies are included. You will have to fabricate the wiring harness(es) to custom length for your particular installation taking into account where you decide to mount the DPU and your choice of the locations of the various firewall penetration points. Remember: every one of those impressive display parameters has wires going to it and the resultant wire bundle grows into a rather substantial affair. I bought a few special tools from VM to correctly crimp the supplied wire and connectors.

Everything is relative of course, but $120 seems very reasonable to me to rework the unit to a 4 cylinder display including a fresh battery and software update. Heck, EI wanted almost that much to upgrade my older FL-2C fuel gauge with a larger display.

Back