What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I Build the RV-10 Fuselage Before the Wings?

attackpilot

Hello Everyone:

I was pretty much convinced on building an RV-9 until I took the family to SWRFI earlier this month. Then my wife decided that if I was going to fly around all the time, we should all be able to fly (2 kids). Geez, don't twist my arm honey, but I will certainly get the RV-10 if you are willing to spend 35k more. :D

So I am ordering the RV-10 tail kit this week. Looking down the road I intend on getting the QB wing (don't want to have to worry about the fuel tanks) and the SB fuselage (have to save money somewhere). Would I be introducing more problems than solutions if I ordered the fuselage kit second instead of the wing? I know I will have to return the center section to Vans so they can complete the QB wing, but that is not an issue.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, are there any "must have" tools other than what is in the Avery kit?

Thanks

Joe

I'd go QB FUSE

I went slow build on my whole -10. In retrospect, I'd spend the extra money for the QB fuselage. The gas tanks are a bit of a drag - as you know, ProSeal CAN jump 10 feet - as proven many times in my shop. But even though ProSeal is a drag...the slow build fuselage has MANY MANY more things that are worse. Tons of small pieces, some difficult places to buck rivets, and the need for a 7" mushroom set to name a few. Feel free to call me if you'd like to discuss it.

Pete James
Plumbing the fuse, engine and prop waiting to be hung.
515-991-5542 Cell

If you want to work for about $10.00 or less per hour building the SB fuselage go for it. I have no regrets in going both the QB wings and the QB fuselage. I left most of my QB wing work until I had the majority of the QB fuselage completed.

If I had it to do over I would do the QB wings only because they are so boring rib after rib after rib, the view never changes!!! :rolleyes: The tanks aren't a good enough reason for me to choose the QB, they went pretty quick and with good planning they are not a factor.

I am slow building my fuselage and it's FUN!! :p It took me 4 months to get my fuselage to the QB stage and I didn't have to tear it apart (removing floor panels etc).

I can say that the skills developed building the Emp and Wings helped on the fuselage. The plans start to assume you don't not need handholding by the time your building the fuselage, although they still are very easy to understand and follow you just need to be aware that it may not tell you to deburr or dimple/CS on certain tasks. The center wing spar section comes with the wings ( I believe it is matched to the wing main spars) and you need it at the start of the fuselage so you still need the wings onhand before the fuselage can move very far along in the build.

Attack

I would highly recommend you check out www.planetools.com. I purchased the tool kit from them and got a FREE pneumatic squeezer out of the deal. Besides them providing top quality tools at a good price, their customer service is bar none. Shaun their sales rep has helped me out on numerous occasions when I needed something specific.

Currently working on the RV-10. If you need any advice on specific tools, let me know.

www.marcandkathy.com

Marc

Back