What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EMS settings for Ammeter

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
EMS settings/ranges for Ammeter

I have my ammeter shunt in Dynon position B (meaning it's connected immediately downstream of the alternator and is measuring "positive current flowing from the alternator to both the battery and aircraft loads, 0A-60A," quote from Dynon manual).

Without getting into a debate about whether position A, B, or C is best for the shunt, I'm looking for suggestions on the ranges I should set in my EMS given my shunt's location. What might my green, yellow, and red ranges be?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I have three hall effect current sensors. Alt, bat and ebus. I set my grt to warn me at 55A for alt. It actually warned me when amps went to 58A after startup while recharging main and aux battery. Ebus set at 15A. No limits set on main battery.

I have my D180 shunt at position A.

If I had it at B, I think I'd set the max to 55 or 60 amps to warn of altermator high amps. I'd set the low value at very low number; 1-5 amps.

The problem I see with position B is that you do not know if the battery is being charged or discharged. The alternator can be putting out 20 amps (as shown on the Dynon) but if the aircraft is using more than that you will be discharging the battery and not know unless you have some other kind of warning system in place.

Back