What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help reading a Canadian chart

RV7ator

Well Known Member
I'm taking an RV-7 to Edmonton tomorrow (11-29) and my first look at a Canadian VFR chart leaves me in the dark regarding airspace, in particular the Edmonton Class C overlaying the actual destination, Villaneuve.

The Class C is huge by US standards, and only the floor, as we call it, is on the chart. What's the top? Who do you call and on what frequencies to penetrate and drop down to Villanueve? All I can figure is that this data is scattered amongst a lot of different publications, making the charts kinda useless unless you carry a library.

Any tips would be appreciated.

John Siebold

I'm taking an RV-7 to Edmonton tomorrow (11-29) and my first look at a Canadian VFR chart leaves me in the dark regarding airspace, in particular the Edmonton Class C overlaying the actual destination, Villaneuve.

The Class C is huge by US standards, and only the floor, as we call it, is on the chart. What's the top? Who do you call and on what frequencies to penetrate and drop down to Villanueve? All I can figure is that this data is scattered amongst a lot of different publications, making the charts kinda useless unless you carry a library.

Any tips would be appreciated.

John Siebold

I found them a bit hard to read too....:)

This might help for Edmonton

http://www.ivao.ca/atc/czeg/images/cyeg_vfr.jpg

Top looks like 12,500 ft

Please note the link provided is unofficial...:)

The official stuff is here, but harder to read - around page 49

http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefi...ronauticalInfoProducts/DAH/DAH_current_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Based on the chart that Gil provided, it looks like the airspace in the Villeneuve area is Class C from 4600 ft to 12,500 ft, controlled by Edmonton Terminal on 119.5 MHz. There is Class D airspace from surface to (but not including) 4600 ft within 3 nm of Villeneuve.

Based on the chart that Gil provided, it looks like the airspace in the Villeneuve area is Class C from 4600 ft to 12,500 ft, controlled by Edmonton Terminal on 119.5 MHz. There is Class D airspace from surface to (but not including) 4600 ft within 3 nm of Villeneuve.

..and to be more precise from the Official NavCanada source...

Villeneuve, AB: (Class D)

The airspace to below 4600? (2345? AAE) within the area bounded by a circle of 3 miles radius centred on the following:
N53?40'03.00" W113?51'16.00"

I would presume the AAE is Above Airport Elevation, but I'm not sure...:)

Back