What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming and Grounding

dfmoeller

I'm New Here
Here's a question that has probably been beaten to death, but I can't find the answer, so here goes:

If I prime with self-etching rattle can zinc oxide, between feying surfaces or more, won't this kill the ground path? Simple question, huh.

Doug

The rivets should provide enough of a ground path that you shouldn't have an issue.

And welcome to VAF.

Ground wire connection

Similar dumb question. The interior surfaces of my wing are primed. I'm installing a landing light, and the plans call for a ground wire terminal to be bolted to a rib, so I removed some primer to get a good connection.

However, I saw a photo of a similar connection with the terminal connected to the primed rib. How does that work? Am I worrying about nothing?

You did it right, the primer must be removed when attaching a ground to the airframe. AC43-13 has a picture of the proper way to assemble this connection.

20071014183058552_1_original.jpg

Last edited:
Experiment

Here's a question that has probably been beaten to death, but I can't find the answer, so here goes:

If I prime with self-etching rattle can zinc oxide, between feying surfaces or more, won't this kill the ground path? Simple question, huh.

Doug

Doug, adding to what Walt said, if you really want to know, build a 10 minute mock up and measure what the effect is. You will soon see for yourself and it will be the correct answer. Because what Walt wrote is best practice. He never said there will not be any connection, however it maybe a terrible connection, at least in the end you will know.

PS. If your grounding a strobe, you can go with a self tested experiment. If your grounding your electrical bus, just go with best practice. I am sure you can see why.

Gus,

My concern was actually a bit more subtle than it might have appeared. Your suggestion to build it and measure the resistance is a good one - the obvious solution.

As a 30 year plus electrical engineer who has worked in the aircraft design, flight test, and mod industries over a good portion of that time (although that was several years ago), I take AC43.13 to be gospel. My concern wasn't the primary grounding to the structure (as shown in the 43.13 diagram that Walt posted), rather the creation of non-bonded ground paths and ground loops caused by having more than two layers of metal with primed feying surfaces riveted together (consider a wing spar with double spar caps. In that situation, priming of the feying surfaces isolates the web in the middle. The rivets through the assembly only make contact on the outsides of the assembly via the undersides of the heads, leaving the bonding to the web to be kind of doubtful as it relies only on incidental contact with the rivet shaft. This is kind of similar to what happens when 2 fully primed parts are riveted together. Will that be enough to guarantee bonding? I suspect that it will, but we will see.

I will do a short experiment and post the results, if anyone is interested.

Doug

On the RV-12 that I'm building, as well as priming the contact surfaces, I have been dipping the pulled rivets in primer just before installing them. Some other builders have done this too for added corrosion resistance, but not many as far as I know. After seeing your original post, this suddenly seemed like a bad idea. However after testing the resistance between rivets at various points in the wing, the electrical connectivity appears to be OK. Time will tell whether it's good enough. I'd be interested to see what your experiment shows.

Gus,

My concern was actually a bit more subtle than it might have appeared. Your suggestion to build it and measure the resistance is a good one - the obvious solution.

As a 30 year plus electrical engineer who has worked in the aircraft design, flight test, and mod industries over a good portion of that time (although that was several years ago), I take AC43.13 to be gospel. My concern wasn't the primary grounding to the structure (as shown in the 43.13 diagram that Walt posted), rather the creation of non-bonded ground paths and ground loops caused by having more than two layers of metal with primed feying surfaces riveted together (consider a wing spar with double spar caps. In that situation, priming of the feying surfaces isolates the web in the middle. The rivets through the assembly only make contact on the outsides of the assembly via the undersides of the heads, leaving the bonding to the web to be kind of doubtful as it relies only on incidental contact with the rivet shaft. This is kind of similar to what happens when 2 fully primed parts are riveted together. Will that be enough to guarantee bonding? I suspect that it will, but we will see.

I will do a short experiment and post the results, if anyone is interested.

Doug

There is generally an adequite electrical bond created by the large number of fasteners (rivets) in an aircraft structure. Solid driven rivets have high forces in the hole ID which create a good bond. If you are installing fasteners wet, unless the paint is dry (should not be for "wet" installation) the paint will be pushed out of the contact area, it then seals the area but there is still metal to metal contact. If you are using the airframe ground for things like lights and strobes it will not be a problem. There will be "some" resistance in the airframe ground circuit which will cause a small voltage drop in the airframe, but your landing light really doesn't care if it sees 14.5 volts or 14.4 volts (in this case the airframe would be dropping 100mv and the airframe resistance would be 10 miliohms for a 10 amp landing light). AC43-13 has acceptable voltage drops for wires and basically you can use the same figures for airframe resistance.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Walt: The paint is wet when setting the rivets, so I should be OK.

Wayne: Hadn't heard of an alodine pen before. Thanks for the tip

Back