What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak GX PRO Stick Drag

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I just finished installing my control sticks in my RV-10 for the first time with the pitch servo also installed. It seems a lot of drag is added by the servo. In addition, when you move the stick very slowly, you can feel a jerky motion. I would say it this point, it is unacceptable. I do not have the control surfaces attached at this point and can only surmise that the added weight will reduce the impact of the stepper motor drag. Removing the A/P servo eliminates this issue.
Am I the only one or has anyone else felt this issue?
Bill

stick drag

Bill,

I know what you are talking about. I felt it too but after finishing and flying it's no concern and I totally forgot about it until reading your post.

That's a relief. It sure is bothersome at this point. I can only assume that during flight the control surface loads up enough to disguise this, which it sounds like it does.
Bill

Bill,

On my RV-6 I experienced the same concern after adding a wing leveler. In reality it is a non-factor. On the ground there is almost no friction in the control system, so the added friction of the servos is very noticable. But in the air, the air loads are so much larger than the servo drag that the servo drag isn't noticable.

I promise, it all goes away once you start rolling down the runway. A complete non-issue.

I guess I will wait to make judgement until I get it flying. There are way to many of these in RVs for this to be an issue and not have heard of it before now.....
Thanks for the info

My roll servo has a clutch and has almost not resistance when not engadged. My pitch servo is standard. While it adds a very slight amount of resistance, there is no "stepping" or jerkiness. If it is an issue, you might contact TruTrak about their clutched servos. (But that might be overkill)

Everyone else is right....a quick search of the archives shows that this subject frequently turns up among those installing the most common stepper motor A/P's their first time. It's normal and you wont't notice it when you go fly.

Cheers,
Stein

Back