What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 2 Entry Question

doneil

I'm New Here
I know this may be an elementry question but I have been unable to get a definitive answer from anyone, so I am asking this forum.

I am about ready to enter phase 2 and to make the entry in the log book stating the aircraft to be airworthy. The last sentence is as follows:

The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: Vso___, VX___, and Vy___, and the weight _____, and
CG location_____ at which they were obtained.

My question concerns the WEIGHT and CG location, are these the EMPTY weight and EMPTY CG or the GROSS numbers or something in between???

I asked an FAA man and he could not give me a definitive answer.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

Thanks
David Roberts
RV6A

You could change the line to:

The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: Vso___, VX___, and Vy___, and the in-flight weight _____, and CG location_____ and corresponding empty weight _____, and CG location_____ at which they were obtained.

doneil said:
I know this may be an elementry question but I have been unable to get a definitive answer from anyone, so I am asking this forum.

I am about ready to enter phase 2 and to make the entry in the log book stating the aircraft to be airworthy. The last sentence is as follows:

The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: Vso___, VX___, and Vy___, and the weight _____, and
CG location_____ at which they were obtained.

My question concerns the WEIGHT and CG location, are these the EMPTY weight and EMPTY CG or the GROSS numbers or something in between???

I asked an FAA man and he could not give me a definitive answer.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

Thanks
David Roberts
RV6A

It should be the flight weight that you were at. With the understanding that someone down the line could use that data and the speeds to extrapolate other speeds at other weights...

flight testing

I think, the weight at which you flew it, the cg at which you flew it and the speeds at those numbers seem to be in line with the request.

I do not believe that those speeds need to be in your logbook endorsement. They should be entered in you POH, though, as well as all flight parameters you tested for and weight and balance data.

Basically everything you want to do with the aircraft has to be tested in Phase I. Aerobatics, Instrument Flight, Night Flight, etc. If there is something that you did not test for during the Phase I testing, you can do it at a later date by going back into Phase I testing to prove the item, then endorsing the item your log book via a new entry.

For my entry I put:

I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout it's normal range of speeds and throughout all manuevers to be executed and is safe for operation.
The following aerobatic manuevers have been tested :
Barrel Rolls, Loops, Chandelles, Aileron Rolls, Immelman Turns, and Split Ss.

That entry for my log was prescribed by the MKE FSDO, who inspected my plane.

Hope this helps,
Roberta Hegy
N2447A

Last edited:
Back