What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru Trak vs S-Tec autopilot

Cadstat

Well Known Member
I noticed more used planes for sale are equiped with Tru Trak than S-tec Autopilots but only now am I begining to understand why. My three year old S-tec 30 that came with the plane works great for about 40 minutes until is warms up then it quits. I wrote the factory and they said thats too bad. It would cost $935 if it's a small repair and could be over $1500 if its a big issue. This doesn't seem fair to me. The last owner spent $9000 for the unit and three years later it needs $1500 for repairs. I got ripped off. Seems like a POS to me. Let the future buyers beware.

Thats the $ difference between an autopilot for certified aircraft and experimental. Trutrak auto pilots are only for experimant aircraft, have the digiflightII vsvg and works great

Thats the $ difference between an autopilot for certified aircraft and experimental. Trutrak auto pilots are only for experimant aircraft, have the digiflightII vsvg and works great

Of course there are much more differences, one in the easy of use and functionality. TT is just awesome.

Hi John,

I hate to hear that you've had so much trouble. If you'd like some info on Trutrak APs, just send me a PM. I can help you out. ;)

I noticed more used planes for sale are equiped with Tru Trak than S-tec Autopilots but only now am I begining to understand why. My three year old S-tec 30 that came with the plane works great for about 40 minutes until is warms up then it quits. I wrote the factory and they said thats too bad. It would cost $935 if it's a small repair and could be over $1500 if its a big issue. This doesn't seem fair to me. The last owner spent $9000 for the unit and three years later it needs $1500 for repairs. I got ripped off. Seems like a POS to me. Let the future buyers beware.

Hi John,

I hate to hear that you've had so much trouble. If you'd like some info on Trutrak APs, just send me a PM. I can help you out. ;)

Lucas,
There are videos on Youtube showing the G3X functionality in different modes with AP flying the plane. Nowhere does the pilot ever work with the AP, only pushing buttons on the EFIS. Does the G3X drive an AP on its own? Is it done through the TruTrak AP? (which I can see in the corner of the video). What am I missing?
Thanks.
Johan
Here are links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBBCAj9Npw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRxQfSXzms&feature=relmfu

not Lucas...but I can probably still help!

Lucas,
There are videos on Youtube showing the G3X functionality in different modes with AP flying the plane. Nowhere does the pilot ever work with the AP, only pushing buttons on the EFIS. Does the G3X drive an AP on its own? Is it done through the TruTrak AP? (which I can see in the corner of the video). What am I missing?
Thanks.
Johan
Here are links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBBCAj9Npw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRxQfSXzms&feature=relmfu

The GX Pilot, which is the autopilot we make specifically for the G3X, can be operated directly from the G3X or from the autopilot head. We (TruTrak and Garmin) designed the two products specifically to work together.

When operating from the G3X, the GX Pilot is capable of MANY more features than on it's own. Without going into a long list of features, I can pretty much say it's equivalent to our Sorcerer (for MUCH less money).

On it's own, the GX Pilot has selectable track and vertical speed.

Both systems can function completely independently or seamlessly as one.

IS-tec 30 ... works great for about 40 minutes until is warm ... then it quits.

I had this happen on a trip this year in a Cherokee. My S30 that has been bullet proof started acting up after about 6 - 7 hours. The factory position was that they'd heard of this but didn't really have a fix. Adding air cooling was suggested - haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quite a contrast to the TruTrack support - which is excellent. I sure do wish there were a way to put TT into a certified aircraft.

Dan

Both systems can function completely independently or seamlessly as one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrew,
When you say "independently", does it mean that the G3X can drive the servos on its own (negating the need for an AP), or is that only achieved through the TS AP and its servos? From the videos it seems that the TS AP is not switched on!
Johan

oops...sorry!

Thanks Andrew,
When you say "independently", does it mean that the G3X can drive the servos on its own (negating the need for an AP), or is that only achieved through the TS AP and its servos? From the videos it seems that the TS AP is not switched on!
Johan

I guess I didn't make that very clear...sorry about that!

The AP control head does need to be there for the AP to work.

What I was trying to say is that the AP works without the EFIS and vice versa. I was attempting to indicate that we both have our own sensor and neither system requires the other to operate. Clear as mud yet? Maybe I should let Lucas handle these...sorry! :D

But...you are correct the AP does not have to be touched when controlling via the G3X. Engaging, dis-engaging, and all operation can be done without actually having to touch the AP. Even for me, the AP nerd, I never touch the AP in our -10 or -12! :)

Back