What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bird Strike during the 1/2-Low Pass

RV8R999

Well Known Member
During my routine 1/2-Low pass at the grass strip I live on a huge flock of small birds decided to launch just as I was crossing the fence. I heard at least 4 distinct smack, smack, smack, smacks in quick succession.

Landed the plane and found a few feathers and some guts but zero damage.

I guess the 1/2-low pass maneuver is just as dangerous as the full-low pass and we should all probably never do one again.

how low is half low

So it depends what is around but I do a 500ft precautionary pass when at an untowered strip if it is grass, I do it at 1000 ft if it is paved and un towered, usually both are above birds flying ceiling. Here in Oz we are taught its about 300ft on average, the bird layer, as I call it.

So I would call the 500 ft pass my 1/2 low, and when there are a lot of trees I do watch out so its slow like at 60kts.

What is your half Alt?

Possible fixes

1) Mount one of those fake owls on each wing.
2) Put gun ports in your canopy and carry a street sweeper.
3) Never ever ever go near the ground for any reason.
A friend of mine was flying Watt and Cheney over the big park one time when they had an electrical problem. They asked him if they'd be able to get down. He answered "I've never heard of anyone being stuck up here yet". They got so mad they wouldn't talk to him the rest of the trip.

Jeeez man, what is it with the $#@! birds lately?!!!

Glad you are OK.
Thanks, you too. I thought the same thing..what is up with all the birds!!!

a 1/2-Low pass is a Smart A** name for approach to landing. Since so many on this forum believe the Low Pass is unnecessary, irresponsible, and illegal I thought I'd point out we all perform low passes every time we fly. Once when we take off, and once when we land. Most of the birds and obstacles are located at either the approach or departure end. Conducting 1 complete low pass doesn't expose the pilot to any more bird strike risk than a T/O followed by a landing. The speed at which you choose to fly is all about the risk you accept if your engine fails vs. how much more it will hurt when the duck goes through the canopy. Of course we could all bubble wrap ourselves and watch tv.

a 1/2-Low pass is a Smart A** name for approach to landing. Since so many on this forum believe the Low Pass is unnecessary, irresponsible, and illegal I thought I'd point out we all perform low passes every time we fly. Once when we take off, and once when we land. Most of the birds and obstacles are located at either the approach or departure end. Conducting 1 complete low pass doesn't expose the pilot to any more bird strike risk than a T/O followed by a landing. The speed at which you choose to fly is all about the risk you accept if your engine fails vs. how much more it will hurt when the duck goes through the canopy. Of course we could all bubble wrap ourselves and watch tv.

+1 on that, Spank!!

1) Mount one of those fake owls on each wing.
2) Put gun ports in your canopy and carry a street sweeper.
3) Never ever ever go near the ground for any reason.
A friend of mine was flying Watt and Cheney over the big park one time when they had an electrical problem. They asked him if they'd be able to get down. He answered "I've never heard of anyone being stuck up here yet". They got so mad they wouldn't talk to him the rest of the trip.

That's great! All three of those are the best ideas ever! I just had a flash vision with an RV 7 and the owls on the wing tips... :D

Last edited:
Just back from a flight from 1B8 in Cambridge in up state New York's Hudson Valley. A huge flock of geese took several minutes to cross overhead as I was pre-flighting. I made sure they were gone before launching and climbing above their normal flight altitude. It's that time of year.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

Yesterday I made a trip to our local favorite $100 pie stop, and from about 3 miles out I was dodging seagulls from 1500' right down to the ground. I haven't a clue why they were so thick out there, but it was heavy enough that I warned a couple of pilots coming in behind me to be on the lookout too.

Flew through them on takeoff on the way back, too. Birds are everywhere right now it seems.

...a 1/2-Low pass is a Smart A** name for approach to landing. Since so many on this forum believe the Low Pass is unnecessary, irresponsible, and illegal I thought I'd point out we all perform low passes every time we fly...

Well said... I'll have to file that one away for future use.

I used to count waterfowl for the DNR back in Michigan. Typical day was 9 hours in a 150, all below 300 AGL. Circle a lake around 100', pop over the trees to the next lake and circle again. Low & slow down the rivers (watch out for wires). Stop for gas & fresh puke bags for the biologists and hit it again. After awhile you learn to fly WITH the birds, not AGAINST them.

Big birds like geese and eagles, will not get out of your way. You can come at them head on and they won't move. Big birds don't have any predators while they're in the air cruising around and aren't used to having to evade anything. Little birds? I guess they're just dumb. I blasted a seagull about 10 or 11 years ago in New Jersey. Ran him right through the prop. Earlier this year, I missed a bald eagle by about 20 or 30 feet. He made absolutely no effort to get out of the way and didn't seem phased that I went blowing by him at 140 knots.

So it depends what is around but I do a 500ft precautionary pass when at an untowered strip if it is grass, I do it at 1000 ft if it is paved and un towered, usually both are above birds flying ceiling. Here in Oz we are taught its about 300ft on average, the bird layer, as I call it.

Yesterday passed several birds soaring at 2000 ft AGL. Routinely we have flocks of birds at pattern altitude of 800 AGL. Our airport is along the river with lots of flood plane pockets of water that attract all types of birds all year long. Will be getting dozens of eagles about now and they will stay all winter as we typically have open water.

Big birds like geese and eagles, will not get out of your way. You can come at them head on and they won't move. Big birds don't have any predators while they're in the air cruising around and aren't used to having to evade anything. Little birds? I guess they're just dumb. I blasted a seagull about 10 or 11 years ago in New Jersey. Ran him right through the prop. Earlier this year, I missed a bald eagle by about 20 or 30 feet. He made absolutely no effort to get out of the way and didn't seem phased that I went blowing by him at 140 knots.

They are that way on the ground as well. No fear in them from us. The last week or so I have noticed a very large hawk claiming a runway light. You can taxi right by and he will just watch you. Last week he was one just at the touch down point and was there when I took off and when I landed an hour latter. There were 5 or 6 planes out flying and it just stayed there watching. I think he was grading our landings and laughing at our crude flying technique.

Birds:
Hawks around the Oregon Willamette Valley fly 1000-1500 usually, but I have seen many flying in pairs much higher near 2500. Likely preparing to mate. Would not want to hit a large bird.

Had a bird strike (unknown bird type, but small) and left a dent in my RV6. Made a loud bang. Did a precautionary landing ASAP. Just a small dent near a 1/4 inch on leading edge of wing.

Did some research after that. There is much research the military has done and they have patterns they are advised of migration of birds and patterns of behavior with regards to different parts of the country.

The biggest thing I learned to realize is that birds will always dive if they take evasive action. They will not climb as evasive action. I have found this to be true, with exception to hawks, geese and eagles. They don't seem to do evasive action when approached, such as in the pattern or approaching entry to the pattern which is where I see it. The point, always climb or turn as evasive action with birds.

Last edited:
Back