What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 cost

EBSB52

I'm New Here
Anyone know the cost of the kit itself? It will likely be marketed with everything, right? As in, wheels, struts, engine mounts....

Anyone have a ballpark #????

Thx, Ed.

Last report was Van's wants to have the kit price uder 12k but I noticed the soda can recycle yard price is up to 70 cents a pound, it was 36 cents not too long ago. If it's built with 6061 it will help keep the price down. The RV12 is going to share a lot of it's design from a certified plane, the Thorp T-211. Same firewall design, if you know the T-211 you know what I mean, turtle deck design, gas tank position, pilot position in front of the spar and flying tail.
What's really exciting about the RV12 is the quick wing detachment system, pop rivets and if it's offered by Van's Aircraft it will be AERODYNAMITE!
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.
building a RV6A QB
flying a Sonex 3300TD

rv-12 cost

if the price will be around 12000 complete without engine, propeller, avionics, etc its will be absolute dinamite for vans i guess they will sold more kits of rv-12 than any other kits form their production in one year but that is just all my guess

If vans could deliver the RV-12 kit for under 12k that would be great. The cost of materials and other items to complete the airframe realistically though should be very close to what it cost to build a simple RV-9. The difference is maybe less cost because they plan to leave off the finish parts such as fiberglass tips, wheelpants, gearleg fairings etc. The Rotax 912S engine they plan to use is a good engine but it isn't cheap ! The prices thrown around of 13k are probably basic engine price and everything else it takes to make it work are extra ie. oil coolers and radiators, hoses, oil tanks, ducting shrouds,mounts etc.

Compare to Zenith 601XL Costs...

EBSB52 said:
Anyone know the cost of the kit itself? It will likely be marketed with everything, right? As in, wheels, struts, engine mounts....

Anyone have a ballpark #????

Thx, Ed.
If the Zenith 601XL is any comparison, the standard kit, with crating / shipping, is about $16,500. The quick build (matched / pre-drilled wings and skins, assembled fuse) is $25,000 with crating shipping. Add about $15,000 for either the Rotax 912S or Jaibru 3300 with firewall-forward kit.

T-211 is a good role model, but....

robert ruggles said:
The RV12 is going to share a lot of it's design from a certified plane, the Thorp T-211. Same firewall design, if you know the T-211 you know what I mean, turtle deck design, gas tank position, pilot position in front of the spar and flying tail.
Visibility in the T-211 is very good, so I'm all for that. Hopefully Van will size the RV-12 for today's Americans, as the T-211 is definately sized for 1940s people. 39" cabin width! Yikes! I fit fine, but there's not much place to put stuff in the cabin, and the baggage is not accessable in flight without severe contortions.

One of competitors for the RV-12 is the RANS S-19 which is now supposedly available for ordering. However, very little info out there on this product either from the company or the building community. Anyways they are advertising pricing on their Web page. Nice looking buggie. Total price for airframe is $23,900 and the Rotex 912 ULS is $13,900. Should put a completed aircraft at around $45-55K. Hmmmm! :D

http://www.rans.com/3S19.htm

Back