What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tech Counselor Visit

TroyW

I'd like to find an EAA Tech Counselor who can come and take a look at my empennage before I rivet the skin on. All the TC's in my EAA 670 chapter are either engine-only or tube-and-fabric.

I live in North Fort Worth/Keller/Watauga area, just off Hwy 377 at Basswood. Can somebody recommend a TC I can contact?

Thanks,

Troy

I'm sure you will hear about an available tech councelor but if not I doubt Jay Pratt at RV Central would charge much to inspect. It seems that he has seen his fair share of empennages.

You might find him a good sorce for other things. Had I not relocated I was considering hiring him for his assistance and guidance.

In case your not familiar with Jay he is locatd at Hicks field in Ft. Worth. Sounds like he is in your area.

Just in case you aren't already aware of this, if you look on the EAA website there is a sort tool to find TC's close to you. I'm sure that there are some in a nearby chapter, somewhere around DFW that would be familiar with RVs and who would be happy to come take a look. Good luck.

praterdj said:
In case your not familiar with Jay he is locatd at Hicks field in Ft. Worth. Sounds like he is in your area.

Yeah, I know Jay. Talked to him on Tuesday morning out at Hicks, in his Hangar. I could put my HS skeleton in the Expedition and drive it over there and save him a trip, too.

This is the first I've heard (anywhere) that TC visits have a fee associated with them. I guess I figured it was beer & gas money! ;-) How much should I expect to pay for a TC visit?

Does anybody know how many TC visits and at what stages are required to be eligible for the discounts through NationAir and other insurers?

Thanks for all the good comments!

Tech Counselors do not charge a fee. They are volunteers. Yes, a little gas money is appreciated. Jay is not a Tech Counselor, but he could inspect your workmanship. The EAA website lists tech counselors by geographic area.

Ditto what Mel said. The most I've ever "taken" for doing TC visits is lunch.

Troy, when you're done with your RV and have joined the ranks of "undisputable experts" you can become a TC for your local chapter. Sounds like they should use a sheet metal guy.

Back