What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remover for Epoxy primer

I am not sure it is a real concern but I have to ask...

I have some epoxy primer not sticking hard on some area of a few parts, I probably did not treat them correctly prior to prime.

I want the remove the primer on the whole parts, and prime again.
Are any good/strong paint remover good for that?
Is there any possibility to "harm" the aluminum with remover containing special substance?
Is there any type/bran of remover to avoid? any one recommanded?

I did a quick research and I did not find anything that could be wrong, but something I still neeed to ask.

Guy Deraspe
RV-7A, Fuselage

Don't take this as advice...it's just what I'd do. Personally, I'd lightly rub off the places that aren't sticking with scotchbrite (wear a mask if the primer had any chromates in it....on second thought, wear a mask anyhow), and then I'd just clean with some acetone and shoot it with self-etching rattle can primer. It probably won't stick too well to the primer that's already there but who cares? That section's already primed. It'll stick fine to the stuff underneath.

I don't know of any way to consistently get epoxy primer off. Maybe there's some stripper that will soften it. Personally, I think it's more trouble than it worth just for primer.

I'm assuming what we're talking about here is interior priming for corrosion proofing. None of this is valid for priming under a paint job. You definately want that to be RIGHT.

Home Depot sells a stripper in the paint dept. that works. It's actually labeled for Epoxy paints on the label.

It will be slow, but it should work on all epoxy primers, and won't harm aluminum.

Usual self protection stuff applies... it probably made from some pretty nasty chemicals.... :(

good luck gil in tucson

guy_deraspe said:
I want the remove the primer on the whole parts, and prime again.............
Guy,

May I suggest an alternative?........I use a fast and effective way to remove paint, primer, surface corrosion, etc. from all manner of aircraft parts. They have no problem removing Akzo epoxy primer...my primer of choice. Trouble is, guys at the airport have been known to stop by my house unannounced with odd parts for me to clean! Granted, not everyone has a access to a sandblasting cabinet but they really are not very expensive and the cheaper ones can be upgraded by you with better hardware and glass for a few bucks. Available at Grizzly, Harbor Freight, and eBay among others, I have two units, one filled with fine and the other with very fine blasting media and they make short work out of reaching into and cleaning out the nooks and crannies in all manner of small parts. In fact, my wife makes me use this versatile tool to clean the bottom of her pots and pans when she burns grease or pudding into them. :D
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I used some "aircraft paint stripper" that I obtained from an auto parts store as well. I used it to clean off an entire wing that was painted with epoxy primer and then JetGlo - the stuff is awesome. Paint peels itself right off. Its so good, in fact, that I don't want a can of that stuff within 100 feet of my finished (and painted) airplane!

Back