What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak pictorial pilot misbehaving

tkatc

Well Known Member
I have a discontinued a/p that work great until this past weekend. Both my Trutrak ADI and the a/p derive GPS signal from my Bendix King KMD150(gps). The ADI is fine, the track is displayed. The a/p wasnt displaying track so I tried to go into the kmd150 settings to see what output it was on. It was set to 4800 baud which has been working quite well for me. I figured I would try the 9600 baud rate. When I did, the a/p displayed track. Seems like the problem may have been solved at that point but once engaged, the stick continuously jars left and right. (It was doing this even before i changed the baud rate, the change in baud rate only allowed a track to be displayed)

It seems as though the servo is getting a bad signal and is confused as to which correction it should make. Ever happen to you? I guess the obvious thing would be to check connections but I figured I throw it out to the experts first.

Checking the connections is always a good idea. Glad you got the baud rate sorted out. This sounds like the activity may accidentally have gotten turned up too high. With the AP engaged, press and hold the knob in for about 3-4 seconds. You should see a flashing 1 in the left digit position. This is the activity setting. For an RV7 that should be around 2-3. Let me know what you find. Thanks!

Thanks Lucas. I do question the correct baud rate though. I know the manual says 9600 but I have been running the 4800 ever since i replaced the internal KMD150 battery. It has been working flawlessly up until now although I have seen it come on by itself while taxiing before.

I did run the aircraft battery down in mid august that reset my engine monitor settings. Perhaps I haven't used the a/p since then? Although I think I have.

Perhaps the a/p just needs to be recalibrated? Can you tell me what exactly is happening when the servo is rapidly moving to and fro? (left and right)

Moving back and forth rapidly generally suggests an activity setting that is way too high.

The ADI does not have a baud rate setting since it auto-detects. So it doesn't matter what the setting is for it as long as it's sending NMEA or Aviation format.

Re-calibrated pictorial pilot before flying this morning. Autpilot worked as it should but I was still not receiving the GPS signal. After a few bumps with all the turbulence today the signal came back! (Maybe it was the squirrelly landing at 1N2 with a gusty crosswind) Must be a loose connection back there.

Just thought I would reply here that TruTrak diagnosed my problem and helped me solve it. Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Back