What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Sizes

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
This is totally obvious, but I'm always amazed a the size of aviation engines that have been installed in RVs. Here is a quick list of displacements in liters and cubic inches. I've got the two popular Subaru engine sizes followed by the Lycomings. I know this is not a "fair" comparison, since the RPMs are very different. Still, I am just amazed that the Lycoming 540 is almost 9 liters! The Hummer engine is 6.6 liters.

Code:
Engine	Liters	Cubic Inches
Sub 2.5	2.5	153
Sub H6	3.0	183
O-235	3.9	235
O-320	5.2	320
O-360	5.9	360
O-390	6.4	390
O-540	8.8	540

Corvette Engine

Mickey,

There's a guy here in Phoenix (Arizona) who has installed a Corvette V-8 in an
RV-6. I has a about a 300 lb useful load. Goes reeal faaast!

John

Experimental rules!

Yukon said:
There's a guy here in Phoenix (Arizona) who has installed a Corvette V-8 in an
RV-6. I has a about a 300 lb useful load. Goes reeal faaast!
That's what it's all about - building what you want. I'm sure he'll be the first to admit that it's not practical, but I'll bet it was fun to build!

rv8ch said:
This is totally obvious, but I'm always amazed a the size of aviation engines that have been installed in RVs. Here is a quick list of displacements in liters and cubic inches. I've got the two popular Subaru engine sizes followed by the Lycomings. I know this is not a "fair" comparison, since the RPMs are very different. Still, I am just amazed that the Lycoming 540 is almost 9 liters! The Hummer engine is 6.6 liters.

Code:
Engine	Liters	Cubic Inches
 Sub 2.5	2.5	153
 Sub H6	3.0	183
 O-235	3.9	235
 O-320	5.2	320
 O-360	5.9	360
 O-390	6.4	390
 O-540	8.8	540
Yep, engine size is only one function of power, RPM is also a big factor, which is why the subes can put out the same HP as a engine twice their size. Twice the RPM...

Of course props can't go that fast... so the gearbox is needed. In theory, it's possible that a 'vette engine could put out as much power as a O-320 with no gearbox, but it's not designed for the HP that low in the RPM band. Whats amazing is with all manual controls, we can get a 5.9 liter IO-360 to get over 30MPG in an RV. Whats that about land-based vehicles being more efficient?

Back