What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble shooting another PMag failure

jjconstant

Well Known Member
I have a question about the best methodical touble shooting procedure for a ignition system failure. I didn't have time to decowl and start the process so I thought I would put the request out there before I get back to the hangar.

The current ignition is dual PMags, engine is an IO-360 with Whirlwind prop, Grand Rapids EIS driving a Horizon EFIS. Prop has been dynamically balanced.

I started the engine and my EIS rpm showed 0. Engine was running smoothly at approx 1000rpm. I have verified previously that the PMags would keep the engine running down to approximately 800rpm before the rpm was too low to keep the mags energized. I cycled the switchable circuit breakers for each mag and then did an idle rpm mag check. During the left mag check I heard no discernable difference in rpm. Right mag check would kill the engine.

So the symptoms are: 0 rpm indication on EIS engine monitor, non-functioning Right mag on approx 1000 rpm mag test. When I decowl the engine what would be the best order to test/look at things?

I'm a bit spooked because the last time something like this happened I had to pull the left mag on my Lasar installation only to find the gear shaft sheared:eek:. That prompted the change to PMags...

Thanks.

Jeremy Constant

I'm guessing that your EIS is picking up the right ignition for the tach signal? Since the tach signal is produced as long as the shaft is turning and the ignition has power, then I'd guess you have no power at all to the ignition or it is not turning. Also, I will guess that you did not see an EGT climb when you went from "Both" to the "Left" (indicating you indeed went from two to one ignition).

I'd uncowl, look to see that the right ignition is still attached to the accessory case, then look for status lights (to verify power), then do a quick timing check (to verify the shaft is still connected to the geartrain).

update

Brad from EMag called me this morning(!) to go over the problem. He walked me through the "first steps" diagnostics and then I went out to the hangar. Took the cowl off, looked for anything obvious like the mag hanging out of the hole, loose wires etc. Then started the process Brad recommended. I had a friend looking at the LEDs when I powered up the PMags. The Right Mag powered up initially with a green LED and immediately became flashing yellow. Quick call to Brad and verified that it needed to be sent back.

I'm bummed that I apparently have a knack for causing ignition systems to fail (2 completely different ignition systems failed in a total of 130hrs:eek:) but I give Brad credit for terrific support and standing behind his system rather than my very bad experience with LASAR/Champion. I'm looking forward to getting the PMags back in my plane and being DONE with ignition problems (please:eek:). On the other hand it would only take installing and failing a Lightspeed system to have the complete trifecta:D.

Jeremy Constant

Brad from EMag called me this morning(!) to go over the problem. He walked me through the "first steps" diagnostics and then I went out to the hangar. Took the cowl off, looked for anything obvious like the mag hanging out of the hole, loose wires etc. Then started the process Brad recommended. I had a friend looking at the LEDs when I powered up the PMags. The Right Mag powered up initially with a green LED and immediately became flashing yellow. Quick call to Brad and verified that it needed to be sent back.

I'm bummed that I apparently have a knack for causing ignition systems to fail (2 completely different ignition systems failed in a total of 130hrs:eek:) but I give Brad credit for terrific support and standing behind his system rather than my very bad experience with LASAR/Champion. I'm looking forward to getting the PMags back in my plane and being DONE with ignition problems (please:eek:). On the other hand it would only take installing and failing a Lightspeed system to have the complete trifecta:D.

Jeremy Constant

Or finally back to Slicks - it would then be a quadfecta. :)

RE: PMags Rule !!!!!

Hi Jeremy

At least you have a great company that has your back. My dual Pmags have been on my plane flying since July 2009 without a problem. Simple to install, simple to time, and give a great spark....with options. When ever I have a question Brad and company are there with a smile and the answer. Like all things mechanical and yes might I say humans also, problems can and will occure.

Pmags Rule so to speak .... in my world ..... I also like my Vet. 4 pipe exhaust so I have it right on all accounts!!!!

Frank @ 1L8 .... RV7A ....

Last edited:
Or finally back to Slicks - it would then be a quadfecta. :)

I actually think the way I killed the Lasar might count for 2: It's an electronics package piggy-backed on slick mags, and it was actually the standard slick mag shaft that sheared:eek:

We'll have to get a ruling from the ref...oh Doug...

Jeremy

P.S. Doug...nice win for the Cowboys! Yup, buttering up the ref:D

update

Got the PMag back from Brad, along with the stuff necessary to convert over to auto plugs.

The PMag is fixed and I did the switch to auto plugs and tested it this morning. Everything works! If anything it seems to start easier with auto plugs and run a teeny bit cooler. I'm not sure why that would be, with the aviation iridium plugs gapped the same as the auto plugs, but maybe there is better conductivity with the auto plug connectors. I know they are certainly WAY easier to deal with.

If you're up in the air as to which way to go, auto or aircraft plugs, take it from me, I've done both and the auto plug connectors are MUCH better. I've heard some concerns over the auto plugs not being screwed on and I can tell you there's no way the auto plugs are unintentionally coming off.

All told, though it was a bummer to have it fail, Brad took care of it under warranty and I upgraded to better plugs. I'm a satisfied customer:D

Jeremy Constant

Do you have the 113 or 114 series P-mags?

Also; what was the actual problem with your P-mag?

I'll second your points regarding Brad & E Mag Air's support!
I don't think I ever have experienced such an outstanding support! Brad and his crew are really great people!

Back