What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Import inspection DONE!

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Hi; I am a new RV owner; purchased a flying 6A out of Missouri a few weeks ago and had it flown up to marvelous Moose Jaw, SK. Bit of a story with customs and my ferry pilot, but that's for another post:).

Anyway; I just had my import inspection done last night, and now I'm waiting for my paperwork to arrive so I can get checked out and go flying. Just wanted to mention that it appears I may actually have my requested 1800 lb gross accepted. The inspector told me (as I expected) that they normally won't approve a gross above Van's recommended 1650, but when he looked at my paperwork, he saw that MDRA had processed all my applications, report on eligibility, etc with the 1800 lb gross listed, all without comment or change, so he went ahead and accepted my appplication for special c of a with the 1800 lb numbers on it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get changed or delay processing the c of a.

So, Steve; all the paperwork is being couriered to speed things up, and hopefully we'll have a legal plane next w/e!

Now I just have to put all....those.....screws.....back in:)

Gerry

Re: the gross weight, it would really be nice if we could have some consistency in application of the rules across Canada with respect to MD-RA deciding what gross weights were acceptable. I was told in no uncertain terms that gross weights must be the kit manufacturer's standard gross weights on all MD-RA paperwork. Any changes must be processed through Transport.

That being said, how do you justify carrying 1800lb in an aircraft designed for 1650? Don't take this the wrong way... I'm just curious whether you've thought this through beyond "well, other people have done it..." Do you have any operating limitations when over 1650?

Congratulations

Hi Gerry,

I just did the opposite, I bought an RV 10 from Langley, BC and flew it to just North of Fort Worth. Sunday it had the final paperwork done so it is now legal to fly with the new N number, N331JH! It took 3.5 weeks to get all the paperwork done in CA (de-register) and to get the registration from the FAA so I could get the airworthiness inspection done (thanks Mel and Anne!).

Maybe next time I will stick to buying US aircraft...lol!

Log book sign-off this weekend for insurance and then I am ready to enjoy the time machine!

Re: the gross weight, it would really be nice if we could have some consistency in application of the rules across Canada with respect to MD-RA deciding what gross weights were acceptable. I was told in no uncertain terms that gross weights must be the kit manufacturer's standard gross weights on all MD-RA paperwork. Any changes must be processed through Transport.

That being said, how do you justify carrying 1800lb in an aircraft designed for 1650? Don't take this the wrong way... I'm just curious whether you've thought this through beyond "well, other people have done it..." Do you have any operating limitations when over 1650?

I've given it a great deal of thought, and asked advice here on the forum from more experienced RVators prior to buying the plane. The key points, for me, are: 1) The aircraft still meets utility category standards at 1650, and easily meets or exceeds standard category standards at 1800, as far a g-loading goes, so there shouldn't be any issue of overstressing the plane flying standard category maneuvers at weights above 1650. 2) I have run many weight and balance scenarios and cannot put the CG out the back of the envelope, full fuel or 0 fuel, with a takeoff weight at the 1800 lb gross 3) Wing loading remains quite low at 16.36 lb/ft2 at 1800 lbs, and falls under the maximum wing loading and maximum gross allowed for the plane according to Transports' formulae for calculations done on the application for special c of a, and 4) The airplane has been operated successfully and safely with the 1800 lb gross for 8 years and 300 hours. At any rate, I intend to treat the top end of the weight envelope with a great deal of respect.

As far as consistency goes, I fully agree. My inspector was not prepared to process the application with the higher gross weight until he saw that all the paperwork up to that point had been processed and approved at that weight, which surprised him a great deal. Who knows, maybe it will still get kicked back for revision when the inspection report goes for peer review.

Nice to see another "C" Reg in the ranks!

Come on out to Calgary sometime. Lot's of us RV types here (seems only about 5 of us post here, but there are probably a couple dozen, plus Rockets).

Congrats on the new bird!

Come on up to Saskatoon

Gerry...glad to hear that there is another RV in the area...getting to be lots of us now....There are several on the field at YXE...come on up when you get all the paperwork sorted out....as far as the gross weight is concerned, 1800# sounds high to me but I have not crunched the numbers.....my #4 is really a lot of fun to fly "light" ~1300#.....harder to handle on the ground when the weight is up there at or beyond gross (1500# for me)....

Marc

Increasing max GW

Hi.

BIG congrats with your new plane!

I don't know if the builder manual for the -6 is similar to the -7 regarding max GW, but on page 14-1 in my manual, dated 2/23/01, it says in #3 Maximum Grossweight, last sentence:

"- the aircraft builder is allowed to specify this weight. Vans recommends an 1800 lbs limit"

I guess the -6 has a 1650 max GW, but does it say something similar in your manual? If not, maybe in a later edition of the manual?
Maybe some other -6 owners can chime in too?

Last edited:
The 7 has a higher recommended gross for sure; 1800 lb as you note as opposed to the 1650 for the 6A. The 7's have an additional 10 ft2 of wing area, which keeps the wing loading the same as the 6A at 1650. LOTS of debate and discussion on here regarding the relative wing strength of the 6 vs. the 7. Probably best not to go there in this thread:)

Do you have any operating limitations when over 1650?
I've given it a great deal of thought, and asked advice here on the forum from more experienced RVators prior to buying the plane. The key points, for me, are: 1) The aircraft still meets utility category standards at 1650, and easily meets or exceeds standard category standards at 1800, as far a g-loading goes, so there shouldn't be any issue of overstressing the plane flying standard category maneuvers at weights above 1650. 2) I have run many weight and balance scenarios and cannot put the CG out the back of the envelope, full fuel or 0 fuel, with a takeoff weight at the 1800 lb gross 3) Wing loading remains quite low at 16.36 lb/ft2 at 1800 lbs, and falls under the maximum wing loading and maximum gross allowed for the plane according to Transports' formulae for calculations done on the application for special c of a, and 4) The airplane has been operated successfully and safely with the 1800 lb gross for 8 years and 300 hours. At any rate, I intend to treat the top end of the weight envelope with a great deal of respect.

As far as consistency goes, I fully agree. My inspector was not prepared to process the application with the higher gross weight until he saw that all the paperwork up to that point had been processed and approved at that weight, which surprised him a great deal. Who knows, maybe it will still get kicked back for revision when the inspection report goes for peer review.

You may want to consider some or all of the following operating limitations when the gross weight is greater than 1650 lb, to avoid exessive loads on the landing gear, etc:
  • Operations from smooth, hard surfaced runways only,
  • Maximum crosswind XX kt,
  • Night landings prohibited, and/or
  • Maximum landing weight 1650 lb.

You may want to consider some or all of the following operating limitations when the gross weight is greater than 1650 lb, to avoid exessive loads on the landing gear, etc:
  • Operations from smooth, hard surfaced runways only,
  • Maximum crosswind XX kt,
  • Night landings prohibited, and/or
  • Maximum landing weight 1650 lb.

That is an excellent point, Kevin; I really hadn't thought about the issue from the point of view of the landing gear, and I know the gear is different on the 6 compared to the 7. I will definitely take that into consideration.

Come on out to Calgary sometime. Lot's of us RV types here (seems only about 5 of us post here, but there are probably a couple dozen, plus Rockets).

Congrats on the new bird!

Thanks! I used to make the trip frequently when my parents lived in Strathmore (I'm from Vulcan originally), and have been meaning to get out there for a mountain check for a long time. Are most of the RV's based at Springbank?

Gerry...glad to hear that there is another RV in the area...getting to be lots of us now....There are several on the field at YXE...come on up when you get all the paperwork sorted out....as far as the gross weight is concerned, 1800# sounds high to me but I have not crunched the numbers.....my #4 is really a lot of fun to fly "light" ~1300#.....harder to handle on the ground when the weight is up there at or beyond gross (1500# for me)....

Marc

Thanks, Marc; definitely planning to do the S'toon trip early on. Might try to make Sunday breakfast at Martensville some time too, once I'm confident enough to land on turf. Keep me in mind if you guys have anything going on; I'd love to meet up with other Rv'ers. I'm fortunate to share my hangar with an 8 and a 4 owned/flown by Snowbird pilots right now, and my check pilot just bought another 7 (his 4th; built the first 2, bought the last 2) so I do have other RV guys to hang out with in MJ. You should come down some time in the fall after the Birds finish their season in Oct; the MJ muni is a very friendly airport these days:)

Thanks! I used to make the trip frequently when my parents lived in Strathmore (I'm from Vulcan originally), and have been meaning to get out there for a mountain check for a long time. Are most of the RV's based at Springbank?

There are quite a few at Springbank, and likely the biggest concentration in the area, but they're sprinkled around elsewhere too (High River, Chestermere/Kirkby, etc.)

If you were used to flying around YYC in the past, but haven't in a few years, make sure you get a new VNC/VTA as the airspace has changed a bit within the last couple of years.

Got it!

C of A arrived today (with the 1800 lb gross wt). So, the import process is complete except for sending in the climb test report, and GERZ is legal to fly:) Unfortunately, I am not (in the eyes of my insurer) until I can get properly checked out, which will not be for at least a week. I may have to resort to taxiing around the ramp in figure 8's to keep from losing it. Just to clarify, I agree completely with my insurance company; I want to make a safe transition into this aircraft and suffer no delusions about my ability to do that without proper instruction from an experienced RV pilot. It's going to be a long week...

Flown!

Got checked out on GERZ this morning; what a rush! The plane flies beautifully; very predictable, controllable, and responsive. The elevator in particular requires a bit of adjustment in technique:) The only "holy ****!" moment came with the first stall, where I was a tad overenthusiastic in pushing the stick forward and we ended up pointing straight down in a heartbeat. Lesson learned! The rest of the stall sequence was uneventful, and my check pilot gradually allowed his teeth to unclench. Did a few steep turns with increasing angle of bank; never flown a plane that was so effortless doing 360's at 60 degrees. First landing was way better than I expected; second involved a bounce or two but ultimately a smooth touchdown. I quit while I was ahead at that point, and will try to get out tomorrow for a few circuits, and then maybe just go goof off for a while:)

Many, many thanks to Steve Hurlbut for his help and patience over the past few weeks, and particularly as the check pilot today; it is greatly appreciated!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got checked out on GERZ this morning; what a rush! The plane flies beautifully; very predictable, controllable, and responsive.

Ya know, I am getting a bit tired of posting "Congrats" messages to you:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, great news.

And, Congratulations:D

Okay, Mike; now you're turning it into a challenge, i.e. how can I force Mike into another congratulatory message?:) I'll get right to work on that...

In the meantime, Thanks! (again)

Back