What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ney Nozzles, any experiences?

GolfBravo

I'm in the process of rebuilding an O-320 E3D. I've been contemplating getting Ney Nozzles installed in my case. Just curious if anyone has these if so, what do you think of them.

Thanks in advance

Greg Bartel

Last edited:
Greg, not a bad Idea.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

I think they won't hurt but the Lycs are fairly well lubricated already and I do not quite understanded the added benefit of the nozzles.

The primary lubrication problems of a Lyc are long periods of non use in which the cams lose their lubricity and at startup. Neither of which are addressed by the nozzles.

Depending on the added cost I suspect your money would be better spent on a pre oiler.

Milt,
Without the nozzles the cam lobes and tappet faces are lubricated by splash lubrication. With the nozzles the same surfaces have pressure spray at them. At start and shut down, with the nozzles you would have oil spaying on these parts and without you rely solely on splash. With a proiler and the nozzles installed, when the preoiler is engaged, the lobes of the cam and tappet faces have oil squirting directly on them. Without the nozzles and with a preoiler, no oil is squirted at the lobes of the cam or tappet faces directly and only oil that bleeds out of the cam bearing bores is any where in the vacinity of these parts and at that time there is no splash lubrication, as the engine isn't turning. So I think with the nozzles you will have fairly positive lubrication to the cam lobes and tappet faces whenever the engine is running and whenever it is being preoiled. But without them, you rely entirely on splash lubrication even when preoiling. This also holds true at start and shut down. During start, as soon as you have oil pressure the lobes and tappets faces have oil squirting on them vs. slinging cold thick oil onto the same parts. On shut down, you have oil being spayed on the parts vs. hot thin oil being slung on the cam lobes or tappet faces with the engine at very low rpms.
May be overkill to some? but I think still worth consideration.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

STP?

My former boss had a P-51 and they were notorious for galling the rockers, since the cam lobes ran directly on top of them on a hardened steel insert welded in place. After he started adding 10% STP to the oil in the engine, the rocker wear virtually disappeared. He didn't fly the airplane often and I know that it sat for a couple of months at a time without being started and so the oil evaporated off the cam and rockers. The STP meanwhile, clung tenaciously.

Is there any reason NOT to add a pint or so of STP to our Lycs for the same reason? :cool:

Back