What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lyc 0290G

rvbuilder1

Anyone converted a Lyc 290G for aircraft use. Intersted in knowing where to find information. I have acquired one and would like to find sources to discuss or books

I've got access to a conversion book, but it is sketchy at best. Personally, in todays market, i'd stay away from that engine, but if you REALLY want it, I'll see if I can make copies when I have time. Consider the costs involved (new sump, carb, extra mag (or two depending on the engine) machining work, and you still end up with a old surplus engine, with no factory support, a thin network of parts that a freakin expensive and getting worse, that only puts out 125HP on the best of days.

Almost everyone I've talked to that did an overhaul on one would have gone with a 320 if they had to do it again. You can get a run-out 320 core for about $4k and overhaul it yourself, spend about the same amount of money probably, and do about the same amount of work. You end up with a nice 150HP engine that will last forever, and still is supported by MULTIPLE vendors. Sounds like a better deal to me.

Still if you insist, I also have a sump for that engine that just needs one intake tube swagged back in, willing to let it go fairly cheap. I've done some work on one on a friends W-8 Tailwind and he has a spare I need to build up and test run... I'm dreading it. Got the sump for the one thats on the airplane, but the spare has a sump too, so I don't need the extra one.

Lyc O290G

Thanks for all input on the subject. I have quickly decided to not buy the engine. Low initial price and a lot of cost and work to get it flying. Then still have a possibly questionable engine that is hard to maintain.

Back