What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1 Side Electrical / 1 side MAG - POH

Omega232Devils

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am looking at an aircraft with single mag and single electroair ignition. I was wondering what others' start up sequence was like. I have the POH that comes with the plane, but would just like to compare with others.

Can you post the "Starting Engine" portion of your checklist here?

Thanks,

Dan

Just normal

Dan,
I have a RV-9A with one Slick (with impulse coupler) and one Lightspeed Plasma II.

I don't do anything different than I would with 2 mags (or 2 EI's for that matter).

Turn'em both on and crank.

On the -8A I fly

Electroair on one side, Bendix mag on other -- O320H2AD --

I start with the mag and then turn on the EI with a switch --- I have a key switch with the "P" leads attached and do a regular mag check --- my annoyance is when going from mag to both, then back to EI, I get a hesitation and backfire ---and then all smooths out -- still working on that technique.

You can certainly tell when I switch on the Electroair --- engine gains several RPM and smooths out like crazy!

Alternate question

Does anyone know for sure if the impulse coupler is necessary with an E-Mag on the other side?
Thanks!

Does anyone know for sure if the impulse coupler is necessary with an E-Mag on the other side?
Thanks!

If you are going to run a non-impulse mag, make sure it is OFF while starting. The "non-delayed" timing of the mag will cause kick-back.

Back