What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh safety

N8RV

Well Known Member
I didn't know where else to post this, so a forum where the threads are deleted in two weeks seems appropriate. There's likely no lasting value to this post.

Currently there are several safety related threads on VAF in the wake of some RV accidents. We should all strive to not only uphold our VAF and RV families in trying times like these, but strive also to learn from the mistakes of others.

Sometimes we do dumb things with good intentions, and I am no exception. I do strive to be the safest pilot I can be and still have fun flying my RV. I manage my risks and so far, haven't bent the plane or augered in.

However, reading the recent threads have caused me to do some introspection, and part of that is to recount an incident that may have honked off a fellow RVer and an apology is in order.

On my departure from Oshkosh this year, I was following another RV in the conga line (I think it was a -10, but wasn't really paying attention), intent on making sure that he didn't do a run-up while I was directly behind him (he didn't, but the distractions of Oshkosh can make even the best pilots have brain farts). I was directed to the right side of 36L immediately after he began his takeoff roll. When I was instructed to take off, he was well ahead of me and climbing.

Having just read the departure briefing handout, I recalled that it said to make a right turn "as soon as practical" or wording like that, so as I reached a couple hundred feet, I looked to see what the guy in front was doing. He was still climbing out straight ahead.

Since he was still climbing straight ahead and I was inside him and high enough to begin my turn, I began my turn to 150 degrees. As soon as I did, I heard the controller call the guy in front and warn him that "somebody" had turned inside him. Oops.

I noted that he had just begun his turn, so I throttled back and fell in behind him until we were clear of the pattern and then firewalled it. While I was a bit irritated that he hadn't started turning "as soon as practical", I reviewed the NOTAM just now and read that the turn is to begin "abeam the tower." Snap.

I'd have to look around the hangar to see if I kept the departure briefing handout, but I would SWEAR that it said to begin the turn as soon as practical.

So, to the unknown RV driver I inadvertently almost cut off, I offer my sincere apology. Safety took a back seat to following the letter of the instructions -- at least as I understood them -- and that wasn't very bright of me. Expediency is often not the best path in a high-density environment like Oshkosh. One more lesson learned.

I hope that's the last time I do something stupid, but I have a feeling that it won't be ...:rolleyes:

[ed. Moved to 'Lessons Learned' section so it can be preserved - great write up Don!!!! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have departure cards from the past 3-years. All say "Turn right at the BLUE DOT to 150 degrees, 500 AGL, (1300 MSL) max until leaving Class D airspace DO NOT FLY NORTH OF THE BLUE DOT." The Blue dot is abeam the tower. I remember always being told to start your turn before the tower by the briefer. Note: Capitals letters are from this years card and not added by me.

Don,

You were correct on the turn ASAP. The controllers at the end
of 36L were briefing that as I departed and all RV's infront of
me were turning 200 AGL and getting after it to 150 heading.

10 Driver may have been sightseeing.

My .02

I left on Friday 0700 before anyone was really in position for guidance. No scooters directing everybody, so we contacted the tower. They said "keep your eyes open", make our way to 36L and follow the instructions once there. well after I finished my runup, had to call the tower again since no one was saying or doing anything.

They said "cleared for take-off 36L, right turn when able before the Blue dot"

actually pretty painless leaving that early in the morning.

I'll tack onto this thread with a similar experience, that happened to me at Arlington this year. I'm sure the same situation comes up at Osh, so it's still mostly relevant.

On approach to Arlington this year, I ended up behind an RV-8. Seemed convenient, as we should have about the same performance profile. I set up behind him with comfortable spacing for landing, and followed him through the approach and onto downwind.

On downwind, all of a sudden I started getting a rapidly growing picture of RV-8 tail. I quickly recognized that he must have a constant speed prop, and that he went to fine pitch... Dropping his speed from about 150 to about 100 in about 10 seconds. Despite immediately going to idle when I saw him approach, I still had to swing wide and pull almost abeam him while my fixed-pitch RV slowed down.

I probably should have been more prepared for this... Lots of RV's have constant speed props. But I think the RV-8 pilot could have done a more gradual slowdown. There were no aircraft in front of us, so the rapid stop didn't seem necessary. Maybe something for other constant-speed prop owners to keep in mind at the next busy arrival point... Not everyone can stop as fast as you... :)

Don, if this was on Fri morn, it could have been me in the 10.

I was not told to turn "soon as possible"-----wasnt told anything by the briefer.

I did follow the written NOTAM instructions to turn abeam the tower.

My bone head move a few years ago. We briefed a four ship departure. In the taxi they shuffled us, so, suddenly I am lead. There was no departure briefing. They handed me the card and said "good luck". Since I was not lead, I did not worry too much about it.
Anyway, now I am lead, I have my departure card, and it says turn a 180 as soon as possible. Actually, it said turn to 180. About the time that our four ship was doing a formation demo over the helicopters giving rides at Pioneer Field, I realize what I had done.
I was mortified. NASA form followed. Never heard another word.

I consider myself a good pilot. This haunted me for some time.

Safety First

I remember the departure on 36L from our OSH visit in 2010. Tower was happy with me doing just as you did, turning at 200-300 feet and getting on the 150 radial. (the plane in front of me was the tri-motor, so he was no-where near to me!)

My understanding is that they want to keep departing traffic south of the 9/27 traffic, and below the circling traffic for 36L/R The biggest thing I remember is how quickly my RV got to 1300 ft, as we beat it toward Fond du lac!

In any high density situation, even the fly-in breakfast at Twin Oaks (OR) the most important thing is situational awareness and communication.

OSH is amazing for the way ATC handles everybody and the way everybody makes it work.
Jim F

Back