What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Alternative to Pro-Seal

gbrasch

Well Known Member
This product is NOT intended for fuel applications. My IA/A&P suggested I use the following product for bonding surfaces. It is approved for aircraft use and is non-corrosive. I used it on a trailing edge and it worked great. Thought I would pass it on to those that might not already know: 3M Scotch Weld 2216 B/A Epoxy Adhesive. BTW, it was easy to use, 1 part to 1 part, but keep it clear of clecos, don't ask me how I know.

I'll second that.
I discovered 2216 many years ago when I was trying to find a better (the best) adhesive for attaching fiberglass wheel flares to steel fenders on a 240ZX (I said it was a long time ago :eek: ).

Most of the people doing that kind of custom work were using a standard fiberglass layup using either polyester or epoxy resin. Neither one lasted that long, but then I did some research and came across the 2216.

That stuff is bullet proof, and don't ever assemble anything with it that you ever want to take apart in the future.

mdredmond said:
Is it flexible enough to be safe for tanks?

Do NOT use if for any fuel immersion application.
But you can use this to bond anything else to anything. The great thing about it IS it's flexibility after cure (but you better be patient because it takes a loooong time to cure). But when I say flexible, I don't mean rubbery, I mean that it won't crack from vibration or shock because it doesn't cure brittle like fiberglass resins.

It's also kind of drooly and can run out of too large a gap so you want to be sure you have good mating surfaces. It is the consistency of creamy peanut butter that's been warmed up in a microwave oven (doesn't everybody warm their peanut butter before serving?). The good thing is that you have lot's of time to position your parts together.

Try gluing any two items together and do a failure test (after a couple of days full cure time) and you will be amazed. If you disturb it before cure, however, you'll destroy the integrity of the bond so start all over.
It's too bad that it ISN'T fuel proof because if it was, it really would be a great tank assembly sealant.

Last edited:
Back