What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flying right seat

mark manda

Well Known Member
I took my 7A up the other day(by myself) and decided to try the right seat.

How long does it take to get used to flying in the right seat and left handed throttle?

I did about seven landings and never felt comfortable-- the roll out and my rudder over-inputs were the main cause of fright!

I'd almost say "don't try this at home... or at least not on a windy day."

I didn't find it to be a big problem, just different. But then, all my landings in an RV were from right seat (not counting one from back seat of an -8)... so I don't really have much to compare with :)

Felt "different" first time, but manageable for sure. Oh yeah, as luck would have it.. it was on windy days...

When I got my CFI ticket years ago, flying from the right seat came quicker than I thought. The hard part for me was learning to sweat only on my right side so the student wouldn't see it!

Some pilots adapt easier than others, but I've never met a pilot who wasn't able to adapt to flying from the other seat, or from stick to wheel, or wheel to stick, or throttle in left hand to throttle in right hand.

Obviously, you need to be a bit smart about picking the weather conditions, runway width and length, etc when you are trying something different like this. It is almost like being in a different airplane, until the brain rewires itself.

thanks for input-- I was thinking of going over to San Bernardino's untowered runway which is at least 7000 and might be 10000 and doing several short t and go's.

but DanC emailed me about a guy who wrecked his plane on roll out when the joy stick came out of the RH side while flying from the RH side-- I know I planned on securing the RH stick but I think it's still just jammed tightly in there....

I'll address that soon.

One more thing. I don't know how your instrument panel is set up, but if you have an analog ASI, you need to be aware of the parallax.

If you are sitting with the ASI right in front of you, at a certain airspeed, you will see one value. But if the ASI is way off to the side, at the same actual airspeed, you will see a different value, because of the distance between the ASI needle and airspeed scale. This could be important on final approach, and could possibly lead to you flying slower than you think you are really flying.

I've never flown my 6 from the left seat - flight instruments are on the left, but that's not been a problem for me - I did "advise" my insurance carrier though that I fly from the right seat so there would not be a question about PIC if I had a non-pilot passenger with me

Back