What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overlapping Plies?

rockbottom

Guys I'm new at working with fiberglass and most of what I've learned so far has come from the various posts and primers provided by Dan H. and others on this forum (many thanks!). I'm working on my canopy skirts and the lower aft edge on both sides doesn't sit flat against the sides of the fuselage. Having made some relief cuts along the lower edge of the skirt and using tape to hold the edges against the fuselage, I'm about to glass it up. My question concerns the orientation of the plies during layup.

I want to lay up three layers on the outside and then later reinforce the inside surface with a couple of more layers. My plan is to lay the first layer perpendicular to the relief cuts, but I'm unsure about the second and third layers. Does it matter? Or should I alternate the second layer perpendicular to the first by using shorter pieces and lay them vertically?

Thanks for any advice,
J Baker
RV8 Finishing

My plan is to lay the first layer perpendicular to the relief cuts, but I'm unsure about the second and third layers. Does it matter? Or should I alternate the second layer perpendicular to the first by using shorter pieces and lay them vertically?

Thanks for any advice,
J Baker
RV8 Finishing

Are you planning on using uni glass??? That is the only way you can do what your questions states.

If you are using uni, first layer at 90* to the cut, second and third layer at 45* to the first, but 90* to each other.

I think the best way would be to use some bid, and set the weave at 45* to the cut, and do all three layers the same.

Be sure to scarf the edge of the existing glass layup at a 7/1 or more taper.

Good luck.

Mike,

I was planning on using 8.9 oz crowfoot weave cut in approx. 2" wide strips and overlapping them slightly to make up each layer. (The relief cuts are spaced about 1" apart and extend from the skirt edge about 3".) Each "tab" produced by the cuts bends easily towards the side of the fuselage. Do you think that will work?

Thanks,
Jim Baker

Back