What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light speed: Where on the Firewall

Rob Erdos

Well Known Member
I'm currently mapping out the location of all the firewall-mounted hardware on my RV-6. The FF Kit drawings prescribe a location for most items, but I'm on my own for a place to mount the control box for my LIghtSpeed E/I. Any ideas/recommendations for the optimal location?

Rob
Ottawa, Canada

You mount it on the cold side. I put a couple of angle rails from the top firewall stiffener to the bottom of the subpanel and mounted the control box there.

Mounted mine on the cold side of the firewall on a couple of homebuilt brackets. It is just forward of the rudder pedals on the co-pilot side. Put some thought into being able to EASILY remove it if that ever needs to be done, but definitely on the cold side of the firewall.

I have my two mounted together on the upper-front of the firewall BUT I have air piped into them and I don't have any hot air under my cowling since all of my cooling air and exhaust is conducted from the cylinders on each side to the cowl outlet.

mounting

I mounted the box on rails between the firewall and a cross member on the cold side in front of the avionics. The black transformer is mounted on the firewall (warm side) at the top center. Lightspeed shows it on the engine, but Klaus recommended that if you have a sam james plenum, it is better to have the unit not on top of the engine. It gets very hot inside the plenum after shutdown.
If you have an email address, I can send some photos.

Back