What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A nosewheel

billy d

Assembling the nose wheel...The U623 Bushing is 0.004 smaller than the ID of the bearing, the wheel and bearing turns on the bushing rather than on the bearing race, even when the axle bolt is tightened to the point that the wheel can hardly be moved. Does this go away after use or does it require a fix. I thought about lightly knurling the U623 to swell it and then press it into the bearing.
Any one else have this problem ? Solutions ?
Thanks,
Bill
RV6-A Finishing...Ocala, Florida

Last edited:
Too long ago...

It was too long ago and at the moment I am too tired to do the research but I recall some problems with the nose wheel installation on my RV-6A. Van's got involved, and parts for a new design hub assembly were supplied. It is well to proceed cautiously because the nose wheel is subject to violent vibrations if all is not right - that is, working as designed.

Bob Axsom

You can stake the bushings to prevent them from turning and thus relieve the bearing preload. Typically, the bearings do not need to be tight on the bushing or axle. Van's has you overload the bearings to prevent the AL bushings from turning about the axle bolt. I do not like like this idea. I staked my "mushrooms" and lightened the preload on the bearings to just remove slop from the bearings (like the main wheel bearing preload adjustment). This resulted in a nice, easy rolling nose wheel.

I drilled a hole through the fork and into the mushroom, tapped the mushroom, countersunk the hole in the fork, and installed a screw in the assembly to hold the mushroom in place. Mark the mushrooms L & R to keep them from getting mixed up. The bracket on the wheelpants keeps the screw from backing out. A large washer keeps the stake crew in place while the wheel pants are off during winter.

Hope this helps,

Roberta

wheelstake0wa.jpg

The nose wheel axle design has evolved and improved to resolve issues with the AN6 axle bolt flexing. It would be worth considering the improved version, below is a link to the AS part. The installation instructions for the Matco axle shows 1/4" bolt to "stake" the shoulder to the fork.
Vans also has an equivalent part (sorry I don't know the number) which is now standard on the -7A and -9A models.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/matcoaccessories.php

Last edited:
Back