What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum Pump Question

Dave C

I won't be installing a vacuum pump on my 0-360-a1a. What do I do at the accessory case where the vacuum pump would go? Leave out the drive gear and put a blank over the adapter assembly? Is there a plug that needs to be installed here?

Thanks!
Dave C
RV-7, thinking about engine parts

You can easily put a cover plate on it. If, however, you are building an "all-electric" airplane for IFR, think about buying an SD-8 Standby alternator for that spot - gives you plenty of power in an emergency, and dirt simple.

Paul

If the engine had a vacuum pump then it probably still has the V/P drive assy. You can either leave it on and put a close-out cover over the opening or you can take the drive assy. off and sell it. If you take it off, you have two choices.

1. Change out the studs for shorter ones.
2. Install the cover and then put short pieces of steel tubing over the studs with a washer and nut. I've seen this done but don't know if the pieces of tubing are Lycoming parts or were made by the mechanic. Not sure if this is technically legal... but RV's don't have to follow those rules.

Karl

Dave,
Take the Drive Gear out or you may pick up gear noise due to no resistance on the gear. Another RV driver left his in and it did pick up the gear noise. Removed the gear and the noise went away. Just install a pad cover and you will be good to go.

Kurt

Vacuum Pump Cover

If you're looking for the vacuum pump cover, ECI sells it for $26 & change, p/n AEL60430.
I found a place in Ohio, www.preferredairparts.com , that sold me one for $15.95 (Lycoming p/n 60430). You have to email a parts request to them but they answer back really quick.

Good luck!

While we're talking covers... How does one cover the tach drive? What's out there for that?

-Bruce

Avery sells a little tach drive cover - check their web site or catalog...that's where mine came from.

Paul

LW-10303

Sorry, reviving an ancient thread here.

I'm finishing the assembly of my parallel valve IO-360, and started to put the accessories back together. Our plane is all-electric, so we do not have a vacuum pump. We have not settled on double-alternators, so we are not installing a standby alternator on the vacuum pump pad at this time. I have the square pad cover, as well as the block that used to serve as the vacuum pump drive gear housing. Looking at the parts manual and the overhaul manual, Lycoimg wants part LW-10303 to replace the gear drive. I'd be fine with that, except the silly plug retails for $150. Being a cheapskate, I don't want to do that. So, is the correct thing to do:

A) pay the money for the LW-10303, install the pump drive housing with the plug, then cap it with the square cover.

B) throw the pump drive housing in the spare parts bin, put the square pad cover directly onto the accessory housing, using shorter studs or spacer tubes, and forget all about the LW-10303 plug.

Keep in mind an SD-8 alternator is a possibility later, but I thin neither of my proposed solutions precludes this.

using the vacuum drive

Kevin you can do either. If you have the drive gear and housing install it and then put the cover plate on, or remove the drive and housing and just install the cover plate saving the drive and housing for when you decide to use backup alt. later.

Allen Barrett
BPE, Inc.

Back