What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unison Lasar Ignition

Norman

I am attempting to trace an electrical problem, and I noticed through the Vertical Power screen that the current on my 0-320 Lasar ignition at 2300 rpm ranges from 0 to 5.5 amps. Is this normal?

Thanks

Norman

That sounds about right Norman. I have it on mine. Best bet is to call Joe Logie at Champion Slick and he can set you straight. You can reach him at 904-773-1909.

Jim Thanks, reply from Joe:

'LASAR draws most at cranking speeds (up to 10 amps). Mags output is usually mostly linear from engine start to full power, from about 10KV to around 18KV. LASAR averages about 1 amp an hour to supplement the magnetic energy with the engine at or above cruise power, this is the reason we recommend a c/b in case of alternator loss you would kill LASAR and fly home on the back up mag mode to save power. All mags outputs vary with usage and can be increased at the inspection intervals by resetting e-gap. I would warn you that setting e-gap in a LASAR mag is much more complex than in a regular Slick mag and should be done by an experienced LASAR mag mechanic. All of that said I would not be overly concerned by these numbers as they are within the design limits of the system. '

Norman

Back