What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice for building an "in place" wire harness

humptybump

Well Known Member
I am adding an autopilot to an already-flying RV-8. I'm trying to figure out the best way to build the wire harness. My harness will have 5 ends:

37 pin D shell to the controller
9 pin D shell to the roll servo
9 pin D shell to the pitch servo
9 pin D shell to receive the portable GPS cable
power to bus

The bus power and the GPS connections are probably not going to be an issue. Where I keep debating is between the controller and servos.

I'm going to have to snake the wires thru the fuselage and we all know how much fun that will be. Before climbing around in the fuselage, I can only solder one end of the servo feeds and still be able to feed the wire thru the available spaces.

Should I complete the controller end and attempt to solder the connectors at the servo ends while in the plane? -or - Solder the servo ends on, snake the wires, and then solder the control end while in the plane? (or is there a third option?)

If you use D subs with crimp pins its a piece of cake :D
Install the controller, run the wires, crimp and install the other connectors.

I agree 110% with Walt! The cost to buy some crimp pins, sockets, and connector batteries (plus a few connector bodies) is going to be far less than the amount of time you'll spend struggling with solder connections or having the connectors already installed. Run the wires, then crimp on the ends when they are in place.

Another option.....

Nope, sorry. I agree completely with Walt and Paul.
Crimp is the only way to go.

Back