What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Apparently you can braze aluminum

I just saw the demo for a fascinating product from

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/

With just a fairly wimpy torch and a rod of their, er, product, he fixed a gouge in an empty pop can. And then he attached two empty pop cans together.

I wouldn't know about this stuff being aircraft grade: I don't have any numbers about strength or longevity. But it certainly gave me ideas about applying it to cracks. And for some interior work, sort of like a politically acceptable duct tape or shim.

---
Don
RV-9A QB, N255RV reserved

That sort of stuff has been around quite a while and it may be OK if completely non-structural. Be aware of the effect of the heat on the temper of the aluminum.
h

Cool!

Until this appears in AC43.13, I'm not sure it'll be appearing on my aricraft any time soon...but I've got some older racing jet skis for which parts availability are getting to be a problem - this might be the solution. (Hey, if it fails, I can always swim home!)

If you are going to install a rotary engine, then you will probably need to build your own intake. Ed Andersen on the FlyRotaty List at

http://lancaironline.net/lists/

sent us a link to this page and I placed an order. The produce does indeed work. I have not used it other than to give it a try, and it was not any harder to use than sweating a solder joint. Obviously, like anything else, it takes practice to get good at, but it works as advertised.

Tracy.

Try a look on the web for eutectic welding, (HTS - 2000 ) video similar to the guy who demo's at fly ins. I'm in the process of building an aluminum oil pan using that method...doesn't look as pretty as tig or mig welding, but appears strong. I don't think I'd like a spar made that way.
RV-9A rotary

alum welding

try looking up "tin man" or "tin man tech" in Google-----------I would post the link here, except I am not that comp savy. You are looking for the website for Kent White--------one of the most remarkable metal workers I have ever seen.

One of the biggest problems in gas welding alum is being able to SEE what is going on as you work, Kent (Tin Man) sells a helmet insert that lets you actually see the alum melt and pool just like you can when you weld ferrous stuff.

Interesting fact also is that gas welding of alum was common in WW2 aircraft production.

Mike

Back