What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming tips for a noob

Red_Baron

G'day VAF!

I am about to prime the HS on my RV7. I am using PreKote to prepare and 2 pack epoxy primer (green).

The down side is I've never used a spray gun before.

I've bought thinners but have no idea on how much to use or even what consistency to look for.

Any tips or pointers available before I start experimenting ... and possibly making one #%??* of a mess?

Cheers,

Only an assumption but if you're using the Akzo Noble two part 463-12-8, most common because Spruce sells it. Here is the tech sheet link:

http://www.anac.com/TechnicalDatasheets/AkzoNobel_463-12-8.pdf

If not go to the manufacturers website of your primer and download their Tech sheet and MSDS. Tip size for materials are usually listed on the tech sheet along with mixing ratios. PLEASE adhere to the recommended PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) so you can live long and prosper.

Priming

Well, I'd never used a spray gun (just an airbrush) before either, and aside for a few runs, worked out quite well. Using Alumiprep 33, Alodine 1201 and PPG Super Korapon epoxy primer.

Not familiar with PreKote, but as long as it is compatible with your paint supplier's recommendations, should be OK.

You'll be doing a lot of primering (I'm currently working on my fuselage) so you'll get better at it. If you are really unsure, practice on some scrap pieces of aluminum (try a scrap dealer) until you are more confident, or ask the paint supplier for names of experienced painters near you who could help you.

Primer is easy. Paint is also but of the two primer is the easiest. What equipment do you have? What brand of primer? I may be able to give you a couple tips to get you started.

Mixing Tip. Many brands of paint have basic mixing instructions printed on the can. Some (PPG) you need to get copies of the instructions from your paint supplier. What ever those instructions say, do that and you can't go wrong.

If your priming interior surfaces, PPS cups by 3M (mounted on a gravity feed spray gun) are worth their weight in gold. No drips and you can paint with the cup upside down. How neat is that?

Update on priming

I had my first go at priming today. Thanks for the tips.

All went well until I noticed that my "green" primer was coming out milky.

To cut a long story short - it helps to mix the paint tin first! Not sure if I should post this here or in the "Dumbest mistakes I've ever made..." thread.

Oh well. I'm a bit more familiar with my paint gun now. Still a noob though :p

For the Akzo expoxy primer, I first stir the heck out of it with one of those paint mixer attachments in a drill motor. Mix equal parts of the A and B cans. Let it induct for 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Then put it in the spray gun. I practiced first with some plain old water in the gun until I figured out what all of the various knobs on the gun would do. Pressure setting is important, but each gun should have specs to follow. I put a moisture filter on the line to the gun to keep the air dry. Go lightly for the first pass and then let it tack dry before hitting the other side. Sometimes you have to go back and hit some of the lighter areas. It can be hard to see what your coverage looks like until the primer dries a bit.

Preparation of the parts is essential, but I'm sure you can search the forums for plenty of advice on that.

Back