What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Towbar

Rick6a

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a good towbar for my 6A. I have been using the Bogert towbar designed for the 6A but am becoming increasingly disenchanted with it because of the "spring loaded" nature of this design and you have to be exceedingly careful about inserting its yoke through the wheel pant to avoid scuffing the paint before and while "unloading" its tension. Any recommendations on a high quality towbar I can replace the Bogert with?

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
I TIG'd up a 2.5lb. custom one from 1/2 inch 4130 round tubing and 6061 flat stock for the locking clasp. Works great and light enough to carry in the back on trips. I don't have time to build another but I could E-mail you a photo in a few days if you wish.

Roberta recommends the Wig Aero RV-A model. I use a Wag on my taildragger and really like it. FWIW

I am having problems with my bogi-- something's tweaked, kind of like when a pair of channel locks go bad. I have to be XXX careful when clamping.

It's interesting... I have the bogi-bar and really like it. 2 things to try, first they have come out with a different geometry setup that reduces the "snap" when closing they will send it out to you if you call. Also, I found I like the original setup just fine if you tighten up the pivot bolts so there is some friction on them. That way it won't jump as much on you. I simply keep my 2 hands on it and gently put it into place.

I realize your mileage may vary...

Rick:I use the one for a Gruman Tiger/Cheetah etc. It collapses,is lightweight and can be purchased about anywhere. Fits the nose wheel fine. Bill Marcum

Not a fan either

I just started using the Bogert towbar on my 6A and have already damaged both sides of the wheel pant. In the closed position it is not tight enough and slips off if not careful. It's also bulky, I'm afraid of scratching the inside of my slider placing it in and out of the baggage comp. I have a friend who owns a Grumann, I'll have to try her tow bar and see. I'll keep reading also for any other ideas.

Back