What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS not working.

ronschreck

Well Known Member
I recently removed my wing tip to do some paint touch up. Had to unplug the APRS antenna and GPS. When I plugged them back in the green LED on the APRS radio no longer illuminates. Is there a way to test my GPS? I do have access to an osciliscope. Would that tell me if there is serial data present? I do have 5 volts going to the GPS so that's not the problem. Any ideas?

Do you mean that no LED's light at all on power up, or that the green GPS LED is not lit? FYI, the Byonics GPS has a red LED that you can see from the bottom/side of the hockey puck type receivers to verify that it at least is powered on.

Allen
VHS

Do you mean that no LED's light at all on power up, or that the green GPS LED is not lit? FYI, the Byonics GPS has a red LED that you can see from the bottom/side of the hockey puck type receivers to verify that it at least is powered on.

Allen
VHS

I have confirmed that there is 12 volt power to the APRS and there is 5 volt power to the GPS. The red light comes on briefly at power up and momentarily when transmitting. The green light never comes on. I do hear a burst of noise on a receiver, so I know the radio is transmitting. It seems that the GPS is not working. How can I check the GPS?

One way to check the GPS unit is to wire it to a computer serial port and use the Hyperterminal program that comes with windows. You will have to provide power to the GPS from some source. If the GPS is working and properly connected, you will see NMEA information in Hyperterm.

GPS issues

On reflection, it seems to me that the most likely cause of the unit not seeing the GPS is as a result of mechanical damage at the connector, since the problem started contemporaneously with the plug removal. It may be that the DB-9 connector was fatigued from vibration and cold and just broke off a connection when the connector was moved. If you would like to send the tracker and GPS to me, I will happily test and repair it for you. Ship to:

VHS
1370 Trancas Street, Suite 201
Napa, CA 94558

Allen

On reflection, it seems to me that the most likely cause of the unit not seeing the GPS is as a result of mechanical damage at the connector, since the problem started contemporaneously with the plug removal. It may be that the DB-9 connector was fatigued from vibration and cold and just broke off a connection when the connector was moved. If you would like to send the tracker and GPS to me, I will happily test and repair it for you. Ship to:

VHS
1370 Trancas Street, Suite 201
Napa, CA 94558

Allen

Thanks Allen,

I'm away on business right now but will send it when I get home in two weeks.

Back