What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bud Warren - Airplane Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenley

Well Known Member
Just saw on a bearhawk news group that Bud Warren and his daughter of gearddrives were killed in a plane crash this morning in a Raven at KCXO (Conroe Texas). Made it to +- 300 feet and something went wrong. They do not know what happened yet, but one report was smoke in the cockpit, as reported by David Weber.

I have enjoyed talking engines with him and will miss his innovation.

Bill Greenley
RV-10 Wings just ordered

Last edited:
information from http://www.thekathrynreport.com/

CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Two people died in a plane crash in Conroe, moments after the pilot reported smoke in the cockpit.

According to an email from Lynn Lunsford with the Federal Aviation Administration, the crash happened just before 9am about a half-mile north of the Lone Star Executive Airport in Conroe.

Elzie J. Warren, 70, and his 54-year-old daughter Phyllis G. Ridings were flying to Temple for an air show. The aircraft departed from the airport shortly before the accident occurred.

They reported smoke in the cockpit and declared an emergency, officials said.

The aircraft -- a homebuilt single-engine Ravin 500 -- crashed and exploded while attempting to return to the field.

Warren and Ridings were both killed. The plane, which was built in 2007, was incinerated.

Texas Department of Public Safety officials in Montgomery County said the plane went down in such a heavily wooded area that firefighters had to bring in a bulldozer to clear brush in order to get a truck in to put water on the flames.

Authorities with the FAA's Houston office and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the cause of the crash.

Shocking news and very sad. Bud was a true innovator and very savvy engine guy and the brains behind the Geared Drives PSRUs. The experimental aircraft world will miss Bud and his daughter greatly. Rest in peace my friends.

This was particularly hard to hear. I've known Bud since 1967, back in his top fuel dragster days. Amazingly talented guy, and as nice as a person can be. RIP Bud.

A very sad, sad day........

Bud & his daughter were very good friends of mine. There operation was perhaps a 100 ft. from my hanger. Most days when arriving at the airport I would stop by and at least say good morning, which was about everyday. At least two days a week we would have lunch. To say I am saddened by recent events is understatement. Life at CXO will certainly be different with a little less life. Bud was the kinda of guy who would chew on your A$$, while helping you do something that nobody else could, all in good nature.

I was lucky enough to host a large gathering at my hanger Friday preceding the crash. Bud was there with perhaps 20 of his friends having lunch visiting as usual.

The coming days will be tough as we move through the grieving process, but he will always be held in memory as "the Best of the Best".

Rest in Peace....Bud, we will catch you on the other side.

:(
Very sad news that both Bud and Phyllis are both gone I'll miss you both my friends ..
Blue skies to both & my thoughts and prayers go out to the familys..
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back