What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best RV friendly airport in Jacksonville, FL???

Brantel

Well Known Member
The wife and I are planning to fly to Jacksonville to visit St. Augustine for our anniversary weekend. Which is the most RV friendly airport?

Thanks,

Craig is nice... probably more convenient considering the destination... but St. Augustine has an airport too :)

I've flown into Craig field twice with no issues (KCRG). There are two FBOs to choose from at Craig; I have used Sky Harbor twice and was pleased with the service.

....you do know that there is an airport in St. Augustine, right? :)

Yea, We know there is an airport in St. Augustine but we have other plans that include Jacksonville plus the wife is budget minded and got a good rate on a room in Jacksonville. I have learned it is better to go with the flow than to rock the boat! :eek:

Herlong

I went into Herlong a couple weeks ago and they are great. The FBO is top notch. The APP controllers are great to get you in and out also.

Brantel, in your shoes I'd start by looking at the location of "your wife's room" <s> as you'll likely want the easiest commute. If you are to the N, NW or W of the downtown area, Herlong would make the most sense (the commute thru downtown Jax and out to 9A/275 is very quick outside of rush hour if you use the one-way streets in Jax in both directions). I sure agree with the comments above about Herlong. Just remember: if landing there, you two have an obligation to somehow find the time for a game of pool as the FBO has had that tradition long enough that they built the whole new FBO facility around the dang pool room. Going there, in our experience, is like visiting family.

Craig is busy but of course on the S side of the city and the river, so if your room is over there (and it probably is), Craig would probably be preferable. Consider the car run to St.Aug in one direction using 9A and I-95 but the other using A1A or US 1 as it's a different experience altogether.

My impression is that going to Craig is like going to the big city, while going to Herlong is dropping in at a 1940's airport with 21st century facilities. Like cheese and chalk, the two are the same but very different.

Jack

Back