What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KSAF - where to park & fuel??

MrNomad

Well Known Member
If anyone has some suggestions where to park my RV9A overnite, what they charge, and where to fuel at SANTE FE, NM, please post.

We will arrive 4/28 thru the weekend.

Thanks.

As soon as you land tower will tell you to follow the "follow me" truck. The FBO will send a truck for you, and there is a sign on the back of the truck that say "Follow me"

They will show you where to park.

I don't recall a stiff parking fee, so it was probably not more than about $5-$10.

There is a gas pump just NE of the tower.

When we were about to leave, they drove us to the plane, and the fuel truck happened to be right there so I asked if I could get the pump rate with the truck, and they said yes. It is the same operation running both.

The one thing the FBO did that sort of irritated me was that they moved the plane. We were only there two nights, and when we came back the plane was quite a ways away from where we left it, and they weren't really even sure where it was without going to look for it. This was a couple of years ago in a club Bonanza, but I sort of felt like that could have been handled better.

Self service is usually cheaper than Full Service. The pumps are just N of the tower. Unless it has changed very recently, there is only one FBO now, so there are not too many decisions to make.

Bode at KAEG is only 50 miles away and probably cheaper.

Barry,

Wrong time of year, but a couple years ago at the FBO we parked our plane in their heated hangar overnight (December) and it was about $45. They were very nice folks and quite helpful. I don't know what tiedown fee was but didn't want to hassle with the frost for an early morning departure.

cheers,
greg

Thanks folks.

Parking is $6 per nite and the only FBO sells self serve at $5.91.

I was amazed to learn of their array of runways. It appears that KSAF is ready for wind from any direction. Given the short landing distance of the 9, all of them are perfectly acceptable.

Was there April 9th

I would swear I checked airnav before I left and self serv and full serv were same price - perhaps I'm wrong. Anyway, I paid just under $7 for full serv and was still popped $20 a night for the chains. We stayed at the Holiday Inn (free shuttle to and from) and ate around the corner at the Blue Corn Cafe. They have microbrew and THE BEST taco I have ever eaten. It's a soft shell open face that fills the plate. Ask for it - and the beer. They don't have a continental bkfst but they do have a great restaurant in the hotel that cooks eggs to order. I paid a bit for gas and the tie down fee but every person we ran into was incredibly friendly and helpful. Yeah, I'll be back, pay for the gas and the tie down fee. Santa Fe rocks!!

Also

Sorry, got a little carried away. There was a follow-me when I taxied off the runway, but if not, parking is south of the terminal. Last week, ground freq was inop and everything was on tower, check ATIS. And, the wind was blowing like crazy and the dust was way bad - looked like heavy haze - almost fog. With the surrounding mountains and wind the ride was bumpy, but like I said, a fun place.

Santa Fe Trip

My son moved to Austin from Michigan last year, I've only flown down once to see him. We both have time off around Memorial Day and we're thinking of visiting Santa Fe. Can someone share some insight with regards to the Santa Fe FBO's and activities in the area.

Thanks,
Gary
N715AB
RV7A 820 hrs

KSAF

Nice airport with lots of runways. Lots of Citation & Lear traffic (all those rich Hollywood types coming & going).

Friendly tower & FBO. There's a really friendly & reasonable mechanic shop in an obscure hanger on the north end.

As far as activities go; depends what you like. There's good restaurants (Mexico cuisine), nearby mountains & tons of tourist stuff.

There's a reason its called "The City Different".....

Dave
-9A flying (66 fun hrs)

I grew up there, but wasn't interested in aviation back then, so can't tell you much about the airport. Bob Hassel (bhassel) lives there and will probably chime in, or you can pm him for airport info.

As far as activities, there are lots of things to see year round. It depends on your interests. If you like art, you could spend a month going through all the excellent galleries. If you like to eat, you will certainly find great pleasure. The world renown Santa Fe Opera takes place in the summer and is a must if you like that. A drive into the mountains affords numerous hiking/camping options. Many other things, just google and pick a time to go when your favorite activities are on tap there.

Mark

Back