What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Style "coiled" fuel tank vents?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Does anyone have a good picture (or two) of the "coiled" fuel tank vent line used in the F1 rocket? I've been thinking about giving that a try this time around on the RV-3 - there are enough Rockets flying aroudn with the design that it has some field service life, and it sure would simplify the fuselage plumbing!

Paul

Does anyone have a good picture (or two) of the "coiled" fuel tank vent line used in the F1 rocket? I've been thinking about giving that a try this time around on the RV-3 - there are enough Rockets flying aroudn with the design that it has some field service life, and it sure would simplify the fuselage plumbing!

Paul

Hi Paul, I sent an email with pictures. The fuel vents work as a storage reservoir for fuel, so the more coils the better.

Rigging164.jpg

V

Last edited:
Doing this too!!!

Hey Paul,

I'm doing this on the new 7 as well. The Van's way seems over complicated. The wing style can be done in an hour or less, while the Van's type takes several hours.

The coil style with the JDair.com vent fairings will work perfectly!!!:D

coil tube vent

I did this in my RV-7. It works well, the only time it spits is when I have full tanks and have parked on uneven ground, or in the hot summer sun for extended periods( which was once). Took about 30 minutes to install both vents, as compared to running all the way through and around the cabin.

Paul, almost all certified aircraft use a checkvalve which simplifies the vent plumbing. The checkvalve has a small hole drilled in it to allow for expansion. I have a photo at home of a friend's Piper Aerostar wingtip vent installation I can post when I get back home next weekend.

I did this in my RV-7. It works well, the only time it spits is when I have full tanks and have parked on uneven ground, or in the hot summer sun for extended periods( which was once). Took about 30 minutes to install both vents, as compared to running all the way through and around the cabin.

One of the purposes of the vent is to provide pressure relief due to expansion of the fuel. Even the Van's regular vents will spit fuel on a hot day.

The system works because the coil provides an expansion chamber that will not spit fuel until it fills up to the apex of the last coil. If you are overly concerned, add another coil in the assembly.

A check valve would prevent proper expansion operation, and pressurize the tanks. The Van's system does allow a bit of pressurization due to the high loop in the fuselage. I've opened my filler cap on my 9A to check fuel and have it overflow due to the pressure of this system.

V

ALMOST!

Hey Vern:

My version is simpler yet - I do not use the AN bulkhead fitting for the vent. I drill a hole for one of those small plastic grommets (1/4" ID), and poke the 1/4" tube out into the airstream about 3/8" - cut is off at a 45 deg angle so it provides a bit of pressure into the tank. I fold a 2" length of .040 safety wire into a long U shape, and cram it into the end of the tube so the critters can't get in and build their nests -- the lower end of the U is almost flush with the end of the tube.

I might have drilled a #40 hole in the back side of the tube in case of icing too - can't recall is my current ship is set up that way or not.

Your version is also bigger then mine - I use a spray paint can to roll the tubing around, and you are right more rolls = more interior space. I'll bet yours sloshes less out than mine does!

Carry on!
Mark

Hey Vern:

My version is simpler yet - I do not use the AN bulkhead fitting for the vent. I drill a hole for one of those small plastic grommets (1/4" ID), and poke the 1/4" tube out into the airstream about 3/8" - cut is off at a 45 deg angle so it provides a bit of pressure into the tank. I fold a 2" length of .040 safety wire into a long U shape, and cram it into the end of the tube so the critters can't get in and build their nests -- the lower end of the U is almost flush with the end of the tube.

I might have drilled a #40 hole in the back side of the tube in case of icing too - can't recall is my current ship is set up that way or not.

Your version is also bigger then mine - I use a spray paint can to roll the tubing around, and you are right more rolls = more interior space. I'll bet yours sloshes less out than mine does!

Carry on!
Mark

Actually, the photo credit goes to Randy Pflanzer, but I've done the same thing. I followed the instructions, using the cut-down AN fitting. I guess you don't trust the guy who wrote the instructions. Oh wait...

V

New JDair vents

We are going to release our latest offering from JDair, aluminum vent fairings, early next week. They are done and we are working on the instructions and photos now.

The vent fairings are very cool, install in minutes on new builds or current aircraft. They feature a positive pressure inlet and a secondary inlet if the primary hole gets plugged. (ice, bugs, etc.) They holes are screened for added protection.

Look for the announcement early next week. I'll tease with a computer rendering.

1rueyr.jpg
[/IMG]

We are going to release our latest offering from JDair, aluminum vent fairings, early next week. They are done and we are working on the instructions and photos now.

The vent fairings are very cool, install in minutes on new builds or current aircraft. They feature a positive pressure inlet and a secondary inlet if the primary hole gets plugged. (ice, bugs, etc.) They holes are screened for added protection.

Look for the announcement early next week. I'll tease with a computer rendering.

1rueyr.jpg
[/IMG]

So what's the comparative drag coefficient? Mark is looking for more speed.

V

I thought that picture looked familiar!:)

BTW, on the EVO Rocket, I did the same thing with the vent line but used a polished vent head fitting that I bought from some vendor on here. Very cool.

My EVO rocket, with the coiled vent line, will let more fuel escape then did my previous rockets and RV4 using the in the cabin Vans system. It has become simply a management issue of never filling the airplane and then leaving it in the sun. If you do it will pass an impressive amount of fuel. Due to simplicity and keeping fuel lines from the cockpit I still prefer this coiled method.
It is interesting to note that the RV10 that I am working on uses a similar system except that Van does not bother with any coils. The tube just goes straight down through the faring. Perhaps some of the RV10 flyers might comment on how well that is working.

I?m building my 7 tanks now and was thinking of using the coiled vent line with the DJair vent. Has anyone purchased the vents and if so, do what your opinion? They look really nice.
Paul.. did you end up using this method in the 3?
Also how many loops would others recomend?

I?m building my 7 tanks now and was thinking of using the coiled vent line with the DJair vent. Has anyone purchased the vents and if so, do what your opinion? They look really nice.

I don't have the coiled vent line in the wing roots of my 7, but I recently installed the JD Air vent fairings. If you think they look good in the pictures posted above you should see the real thing! Added a touch of class to my bird, (and .0000001 knot of speed) for sure. Even made my landings better. ;)

loops

2 shall be the number. Do not stop at one, nor proceed to 3. 4 is right out. 2 shall be the number.:D

Carry on!
Mark

My EVO rocket, with the coiled vent line, will let more fuel escape then did my previous rockets and RV4 using the in the cabin Vans system. It has become simply a management issue of never filling the airplane and then leaving it in the sun. If you do it will pass an impressive amount of fuel. Due to simplicity and keeping fuel lines from the cockpit I still prefer this coiled method.
It is interesting to note that the RV10 that I am working on uses a similar system except that Van does not bother with any coils. The tube just goes straight down through the faring. Perhaps some of the RV10 flyers might comment on how well that is working.

My RV-10 will vent some fuel if it is filled and then warms up. My Safeair1 extended range tanks use the coil method and I have never seen them vent fuel.

I shall be preparing a set of the Holy Vent Lines (two turns, as writ) of Antioch the next time I am frustrated with FWF stuff....they should give me peace....;)

I forgot to add that the installer has to sing those hymns while fabricating the Holy Vent Line of Antioch!:p

Geez I crack myself up...
Mark

I HEAR! and shall follow your NUMBERS to the end, alls while singing the hymns, O'l great one!

"And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Tube Bender. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Vent Line of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

So there you have it, it must be three turns of the tubing...

"And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Tube Bender. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Vent Line of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

So there you have it, it must be three turns of the tubing...

Sounds like something from "The Life of Brian"

Back