What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W and ADS-B

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the 430W will be compatable with ABS-B in any way?
How about the new Garmin touchscreens?

thanks

430W and ADS-B

Take a look at AC 20-165 under the section "Position Source". Position source is the role GPS plays in ADS-B. The AC does not list, to my knowledge, equipment meeting the requirement, but rather the requirements the equipment should meet when used as a position source. Then you can make your decision if the 430W meets those requirements (in this case, it appears TSO-C146() is proper). If installed per requirements, you'll likely find that it does (Garmin lists the 430W as TSO-C146a compliant in the sales ad I'm looking at). Keep in mind the rules for ADS-B are currently limited to OUT only, meaning there are no regs governing IN. Furthermore, the OUT regulation is not effective until January 1, 2020. (91.225, 91.227) Hope this helps.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 20-165.pdf

Last edited:
Garmin may do a software update that will make it fully compliant and work with UATs such as NavWorx etc. Currently it does not output enough info (that's required)...

430W and ADS-B

Take a look at AC 20-165 under the section "Position Source". Position source is the role GPS plays in ADS-B. The AC does not list, to my knowledge, equipment meeting the requirement, but rather the requirements the equipment should meet when used as a position source. Then you can make your decision if the 430W meets those requirements. If installed properly, you'll likely find that it does. Keep in mind the rules for ADS-B are currently limited to OUT only, meaning there are no regs governing IN. Furthermore, the OUT regulation is not effective until January 1, 2020. Hope this helps.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 20-165.pdf

Back