What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fairly new to Houston...

kostick

Hi fellow RV enthusiasts, For the past few years I?ve been highly interested in buying a RV-7A. I wish I had the time to build one and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I built it, but I?m more into the flying aspect than building. This would be my first purchase of any plane and I would like to meet a few owners in the Houston area that wouldn?t mind breaking down some figures for me and giving me a preview into what I?d be getting myself into. Before going out and buying one I?ve love the opportunity to fly one a few times, even possibly rent someone?s for a while to really get a feel for what I?m getting into. I?m not sure what is appropriate or inappropriate when it comes to asking people to rent out their pride and joys, but I?m hoping there is someone in the Houston area that?s willing to do so. I?m sure there would be plenty of hands instruction initially until everyone is comfortable. My main goal is to initially rent, and then eventually buy an aircraft that?s decent at cruising, yet capable of some basic aerobatics and I can?t find a better option than the rv-7. I have limited GA flying experience, but have thousands of hours flying for the Air Force and Continental. Completely different I know, and I fully recognize my limited knowledge of GA flying but hope to change that. If you?re looking to reduce the overall cost of owning your RV or just happy knowing you helped someone get started into the community, I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely, Lee

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Lee, welcome to VAF:D

I am not very familiar with where things are in Texas, but if you are close to Jay Pratt, or Mel Asberry, they would be good choices for getting info, I do not believe you will be able to find anyone to rent you a RV.

Both are here on VAF, look them up, and send a message-------after Sun/fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike! I'll drop them a line. I saw a post about RV-10 builders meeting in town but seemed limited to just the -10. I'm guessing there has to be quite a few rv-7 owners in a city this large.

Try looking here, listings by location, scroll till you see the Houston area.

Then look for 7A drivers.

Hi fellow RV enthusiasts, For the past few years I’ve been highly interested in buying a RV-7A. I wish I had the time to build one and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I built it, but I’m more into the flying aspect than building. This would be my first purchase of any plane and I would like to meet a few owners in the Houston area that wouldn’t mind breaking down some figures for me and giving me a preview into what I’d be getting myself into. Before going out and buying one I’ve love the opportunity to fly one a few times, even possibly rent someone’s for a while to really get a feel for what I’m getting into. I’m not sure what is appropriate or inappropriate when it comes to asking people to rent out their pride and joys, but I’m hoping there is someone in the Houston area that’s willing to do so. I’m sure there would be plenty of hands instruction initially until everyone is comfortable. My main goal is to initially rent, and then eventually buy an aircraft that’s decent at cruising, yet capable of some basic aerobatics and I can’t find a better option than the rv-7. I have limited GA flying experience, but have thousands of hours flying for the Air Force and Continental. Completely different I know, and I fully recognize my limited knowledge of GA flying but hope to change that. If you’re looking to reduce the overall cost of owning your RV or just happy knowing you helped someone get started into the community, I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely, Lee

Lee,

Welcome to RV-dom! You are taking a good approach by seeking out Rvers for inside info.

Please be advised that experimental aircraft rental is prohibited by the FARs even though you would probably never find someone who would agree to rent their pride and joy to you. :) But you should be able to find some RVers to take you for some demo flights so you can discover the delightful flying characteristics of our aircraft.

Enjoy!

Sam, thanks for the advice on the experimental aspect of renting, or lack there of I should say. I definitely want to keep things legit on a public forum such as this but hopefully it won't slow me down too much in getting a jump start into this. Are there other sites you'd recommend aside from barnstormers.com and the classified section on here?

Cheers, Lee

There are some.........

30 RV's at Lonestar Exec. in Conroe. As said before nobody will rent you one, but many would probably give you a demo ride. Come to the EAA Meeting, tomorrow at 9:00 am at Conroe and you will meet many RVer's.

Sam, thanks for the advice on the experimental aspect of renting, or lack there of I should say. I definitely want to keep things legit on a public forum such as this but hopefully it won't slow me down too much in getting a jump start into this. Are there other sites you'd recommend aside from barnstormers.com and the classified section on here?

Cheers, Lee

This forum is the nexus of the RV world. Check the white pages on the VAF front page for RVers in your area, give a few a call and offer lunch in exchange for some quality RV time. Once you get in the loop you will get an idea of what is on the market that you would be interested in buying.

April 16th in Friendswood

The Houston RV Builders group will be gathering at our hangar at Polly Ranch Airpark for lunch on April 16th. It's a chance to meet a lot of the Houston area folks. Kevin Wees organizes the event and will post more information the week before the meeting. We have a -6, -8, and 2/3 of a -3B in the hangar but no -7. Maybe someone will fly in with one. Put the date aside, if you have a chance.

awesome, sounds like there is a solid RV community in the Houston area. I look forward to meeting everyone. I'm working tomorrow so I won't be able to make the 0900 push but I hope to make it on the 16th if that's the next meet and greet. I appreciate all the great gouge and quick reply from everyone helping me get pointed in the right direction. -Lee

Lee,

Come on out next weekend and meet some of the builders at the -10 gathering. Many are familiar with or have flown/built/owned 7's.

You can't meet too many RV builders regardless of type.

Phil

Lee,
Where are you located intown? I'm almost finished with an RV7 and happy to show you all the internals and some thing to look for if out shopping. As Louise mentioned, many of us will be in Pearland in April and probably Hobby airport in May for Chap 12 wings/wheels event.

Kevin Wees

Thanks all, is there a list of events or a website for local Houston meets? I really appreciate all the great feedback. I live in the Heights/downtown area but work at Ellington Field which isn't too far away from Pearland.

Phil where do you meet for the -10 group? I'll be in Vegas next weekend but I'm sure you'll have more meetings in the near future.

Kevin, I would love to see the inside and out of one and learn anything I can about it. my cell is 478-213-0903. The next few days I'll have off besides when I'm in Vegas will be apr 11-13th. I know that's during the middle of the week, but I'm hoping someone will be dropping by their hangar during that time frame.

again, thanks everyone -Lee

Back