What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about tail skin.

HURMANAV8R

I just cracked open my plans and it came with a info packet. I read it now I am confused and scared?..

I see references to having to use .020 skins verses the stock skins that came with the tail kit. I had not heard this before, call it lack of due diligence.

Do I need to go out and find .020 replacement skins or will the stock unit due, I think I can find some from a local supplier but then I have to find a place to cut it.

Once again I come to y?all for help.

Rocket!

I was trying to figure out which vintage tail kits made a switch in skin thickness before I figured out that your question was posed in the Rocket forum.

--Stephen

.016 (O Too Light) vs .020 Tail Skins

I talked with John Harmon today about your question while having lunch with him at his restaurant at L45 (Bakersfield Muni - Rocket Central). He definitely recommends subbing the .020 skins - he says for high G loading situations. So there you have it, straight from the Rocketman himself - do yourself a favor and listen to what he said.

Hope this helps, OBTW - my Rocket is almost 10 years old (with .020 tailfeathers), and I'm glad I used the heavier skins!

Thank you very much.

Its great knowing that a bunch of great guys have my back, once again thanks!
Now Just have to find some 020 to cut!

A friend of mine has .016 skins on his RV-4 and has already had issues with cracks on those skins. Go with .020 for sure.

.016" are totally sufficient when formed properly. My RV-6 has been flying for 18 years with absolutely no cracks.

However, for the Rocket, I would strongly recommend the .020" skins.

Back