What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info on Destin (KDTS)

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
We are spending spring break this year in Destin (3/12-3/17).
2 of my daughters are taking friends down so rather than spending 12 hours in the car with 5 females,:eek: I am planning to fly down. I am also planning on a few morning flights before everybody is up and moving.
Anyone familiar with Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport?
Are tie downs easy to come by?
Is there any other airports in the area that would be better to leave my plane?
Any fly-ins that week?
Thanks for any info.
Tim

That is where I've always flown into when I visited Destin. There just aren't many other options, so they can more or less charge what they want. Therefore, the fuel and overnight fees are pretty high. You may want to look at airnav.com for the current fuel and tiedown prices.

This airport can get really busy including corporate jets so be on your toes. Kyle is correct there is only 1 game in town. The air space is complex but the military controllers are a real pleasure to work with. Enjoy the trip!

Wow, you get to fly down to Destin while the rest of your group gets to drive?! Lucky you! We are planning a family reunion in Fla. this summer. I wonder if my wife would be OK with me flying with one kid while she drives with the other. :rolleyes: This is where she says "You shoulda built a four seater."
Thanks honey, it's my fault, as usual. :confused:

Last edited:
Both FBO's are good, airport is right off the beach. Rental cars available on site through Enterprise, recommend you call in advance.

The stories of the corporate traffic are in no way exagerations. It can get really exciting there on the weekend. Keep your eyes out and your ears on. The N/S corridor from Crestview is easy, just contact Eglin approach (I think it's 125.8) and tell them you're headed to Destin. You'll head to Aux Field 2 just SE of Duke, then to "White Point" on the north side of the big bridge that spans the bay. Follow the bridge south and then manage your entry from there.

If you're coming from the west, beware of Hurlburts Class D as Eglin will let you blow right through it.

Back