What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st Annual Report

Build9A

Well Known Member
RV9A Lycoming 0-320 160 hp, sensenich fixed pitch prop. 103 hrs.

For those that might be interested, Here are the squawks and changes that I made on my 1st annual:

1. modified airbox where it was chafing with lower cowl.
2. loose jam nut on mixture cable
3. replaced Vans alt. with new planepower alt.
4. added low alt. light
5. two jam nuts loose on center aileron connecting rod ends.
6. jam nut loose on elevator pushrod rod end bearing at control horn

I'm a little concerned about several jam nuts not being tight. I'm certain that I tightened them during construction. Any suggestions out there to help insure that these things stay tight?

thanks, Jack

I don't mean to question your memory about tightening jam nuts, but this is the most common thing that I find on airworthiness inspections. I ALWAYS find several, and it's not unusual for me to find many loose jam nuts.
It would be interesting to note how many your DAR found.
Mel...DAR

Build9A said:
I'm a little concerned about several jam nuts not being tight. I'm certain that I tightened them during construction. Any suggestions out there to help insure that these things stay tight?

thanks, Jack

Jack--
Thanks for the list of things to watch for--I've heard the airbox issue before. Hopefully knowing this I'll be able to do mine better the first time.

Re: the jam nuts... for what it's worth, my EAA tech counselor recommended using the adjustable loctite on these. Sounds good, but I'm not an A&P. Also, did you just wrench tighten them, or did you also torque them? Just curious.

Good luck.

answer

kevinh said:
Just curious - why did you decide to make this change?

I had to have the rebuilt Vans alt. rebuilt after it died after about 10 hours. (Vans reimbursed me for the rebuild cost). The price came down on the plane power alt. and I wanted a NEW one. Jack

From memory

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Jack--
Also, did you just wrench tighten them, or did you also torque them? Just curious.

Good luck.

I just wrenched them tight. As best as I can remember...Mel has me wondering whether I REALLY tightened them the first time. Can't believe me and the DAR missed 4 of them.... :confused: jack

Back