What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temporary Hangar space at Chino or KONT: Flying from East to West.

ArjanPlomp

Hi All,

I'm flying approx twice a month on United Airlines from KIAD (
Washington Dulles) to KONT (Ontario, CA) via Denver. Rather than flying United again, I'm planning to fly the RV-8 and park her for two weeks at Chino Airport. My work is in Rancho Cucamonga.

I'm planning to leave our home airport (KGAI, near Washington DC) on Thursday March 3 and take up to 4 days to get to Chino airport. I'll stop at Centennial and already have hangar space arranged there. I'm looking for approx two weeks of hangar space at Chino (assuming KONT would be too expensive). Any one have any suggestions or even space available? I will leave again around March 19th for the flight back to KGAI.

Thanks
Alexander Plomp
N83SE.

Cable Airport, Upland, CA

Hi Alexander,

The nearest airport to Rancho Cucamonga is a great, family-owned airport: Cable Airport!

http://www.cableairport.com/

The airport manager is Chuck Barnett, and the airport is owned by the Cable family represented by Bob Cable. You might try to contact one of them for hangar or covered tiedown space. The Cable phone number is 909-982-6021.

Note: I'm building my RV-8A in the EAA Chapter 448 hangar at Cable, and there are 3 RV-8's at the airport, one other RV-8A, a Rocket, and loads of RV side-by-sides (RV-6/6A, 7/7A, and 9As); most flying and several under construction.

Tomorrow, I'll pass the word around that you're looking for a spot. Our EAA hangar is full of projects, but there appear to be several covered parking slots available on the airport, plus someone may have some room available in their hangar. (Check with Chuck!)

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)

Will try Cable Airport first!

Thank you Bill! I will contact Bob Cable. Seems a better fit for me than Chino airport as it is closer to Rancho.

Eddy: if Cable does not work out, I'll give you a call.

Both: Thanks!
Alexander

Cable it is!

HI Bill,
I contacted Cable airport and I'm planning to fly in there on Friday, WX permitting ofcourse!
Hope to meet you there!
Best regards,
Arjan

Made It!

Hi Bill,
I made it! Landed after a beautiful flight and a total of 15 hours (had to make a 2 hour weather detour leaving Centennial ). Where do you guys hang out when you are at the airport? I'm parked under the covered tie downs.
Best regards
Alexander
Cell: 301 437 0423

EAA 448 Hangar

Hi Alexander,

We hang-out around the EAA 448 Hangar just north of the covered tiedowns. I saw you take-off and climb-out this morning just as I arrived at Cable . . . Impressive Climb Performance! Several of us are working at the EAA hangar this afternoon; we're watching for your return!

Bill Palmer :)

Back