What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Daytona Area??'s

apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey gang,

I am flying down to the Daytona Beach area on Saturday and am wondering if anyone knows a good place to overnight park for a couple of days. I am looking at Flagler, Ormond or other? Anyone have any suggestions. I need access to a rental car so both Flagler and Ormond probably would be best, but ???

ATP

Tony,

You absolutely can't beat the service at ATP at KDAB. We used them on race day and I was very impressed.

Ormond is very nice and should even have a hanger to park in if you wanted. It is also half the distance to Daytona, about 15 minutes where as Flagler is at least 30 minutes. There is also New Smyrna beach, just be careful and be on top of your game is it a ton of flight training that goes on at and around all 4 airports with Embry-riddle being out of Daytona. What takes you to Daytona? The race was last weekend an Motocross isn't for a few more if I remember correctly. :)

-david

What takes you to Daytona? The race was last weekend an Motocross isn't for a few more if I remember correctly. :)

-david

Hello David,

We are looking at buying a condo in Ormond Beach or Daytona. I might eventually need a hangar. I may take a job at one of the flight schools as a CFI. We'll see about that.

Tony,

You absolutely can't beat the service at ATP at KDAB. We used them on race day and I was very impressed.

Did they charge you a reasonable ramp fee? I don't want to get to close to ATP as I might be tempted to drop off a resume and fail to return to winter in Wisconsin.

Very cool, I dont know if your open to recommendations but I used to live 3 miles west of 95 on granada in Ormond. Personally I liked Ormond much better than Daytona to live in. Its a very pretty area with a nice downtown and much better beaches since they cannot be driven on. As well you are less than 10 minutes from everything that goes on in Daytona. I loved living there and miss it daily. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. 214-733-2262

-david

Very cool, I dont know if your open to recommendations but I used to live 3 miles west of 95 on granada in Ormond. Personally I liked Ormond much better than Daytona to live in. Its a very pretty area with a nice downtown and much better beaches since they cannot be driven on. As well you are less than 10 minutes from everything that goes on in Daytona. I loved living there and miss it daily. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. 214-733-2262

-david

David, when's a good time to call you?

fee

Tony,

The owner wanted me to buy at least 10 gallons of gas or pay a $10.00 ramp fee. I bought self serve fuel at $4.33 per gallon. He also put the RV in the hangar under the nose of a Citation Jet. I was really impressed with him and his staff. I don't think you'll find a better FBO. We called all three locations and the other two were really expensive. Go to Airnav and search KDAB. Give him a call and tell him that he was recommended by the RV8 driver that was there for the race. Good luck.

Perhaps Palm Coast???

Tony,

A year ago I moved from Palm Coast, which is the next town up from Ormond Beach. I was based at Flagler (XFL). I like the airport a lot, especially since it became towered. They have a super FBO owned and run by the county. There is a fantastic restaurant on site, Hijackers. They may have overnight hangar storage, I am not sure. I think the waiting list for hangars is still quite long.

I lived in a very nice neighborhood on the south side of Palm Coast called Cypress Knoll. It was about 1.5 miles to XFL, and about 7 miles to the ocean at Flagler Beach, a sleepy old beach town reminiscent of the old Florida that I grew up in.

Palm Coast is less crowded than Ormond Beach and Daytona, yet has a huge new Town Center, restaurants, etc. You might want to take a look around that area when you are down there.

I moved to Salt Springs, FL, about 35 miles due west of XFL, and am now hangared at Palatka, 28J. Even though I live in FL, I work for a company based in Amery, WI. I think that is NW of you...

PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Good Luck

Chris

Tony, we moved to New Smyrna Beach from Minnesota about 2 1/2 years ago. Nice airport and a pretty active homebuilder community. Additional new T Hangars are being built on the south end of the airport as we speak. I don't know what the waiting list is like now, but it took me a bit less than a year to get a hangar back in 08. The older hangars up by the tower are pretty rough, but the south end hangars are nice.
We are really happy with New Smyrna Beach. It is a nice little beach community that still has a lot of old Florida charm. About 20 minutes to Daytona via US1 or I-95. Epic Aviation has a busy flight school on the New Smyrna Beach airport.

Last edited:
It really sounds like everyone is really happy with the Central Florida Eastern Coast and there are many "bad" places to go. That's making our decision making so much easier. I called Flagler (XFL). They seemed very friendly, and if you buy fuel there's no fees. Look's like fuel there is cheap (comparatively) and they also have rental cars. I think I'll stop there.

tony, welcome to a fl visit.

that is a great area wherever you go. fly over to sebring wednesday 8 am for food and rvs if you get a chance. great wx in fl this time of the year. how long you down?

Hey David, looking at your profile, we have similar interests. How's the cycling down there?

Tony,
Sorry, I missed this when you posted it. The cycling isn't so great around here when I compare it to what we had around the Twin Cities. Here there are no bike lanes or paths, and the roads all have narrow or non existent shoulders. In fact, I no longer have a road bike, but have a beach cruiser. I enjoy riding the beach for miles and use it to get around town. I can, and do, ride to the airport in about 20 minutes. I am talking about the New Smyrna Beach area. I don't know about Ormond, Palm Coast, or Daytona.

Last edited:
that is a great area wherever you go. fly over to sebring wednesday 8 am for food and rvs if you get a chance. great wx in fl this time of the year. how long you down?

Thanks Ed, I was there are a few days last week. We ended buying a condo in Ormond Beach so I will be back soon. I will look you guys up when I am down there. I stayed at Flagler and they were great.

Tony,
Sorry, I missed this when you posted it. The cycling isn't so great around here when I compare it to what we had around the Twin Cities. Here there are no bike lanes or paths, and the roads all have narrow or non existent shoulders. In fact, I no longer have a road bike, but have a beach cruiser. I enjoy riding the beach for miles and use it to get around town. I can, and do, ride to the airport in about 20 minutes. I am talking about the New Smyrna Beach area. I don't know about Ormond, Palm Coast, or Daytona.

David,

There's a pathway from Daytona up to Flagler (purhaps and beyond), I not a fan of "bike paths" but it looked pretty good. I did see some people riding on the road, even a couple of small groups. I'll definitely have to hunt down some good roads. Like MN, WI roads are awesome to ride on (except in winter).

Daytona, Ormond Beach, Flagler?

Does anyone have any hangar space for an RV9 for a few days (Thurs-Sunday, Oct 27-30th?) I will happily compensate you.

Tony, I have a friend that has a nice T Hangar at New Smyrna Beach. (KEVB)I believe it is empty at this time.
If you are interested I will put you in touch with him.

Back